Baby chick hatched by broody mama not doing so well. :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by juniper8209, Aug 8, 2011.

1. juniper8209

juniper8209 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    Crocker, MO
    I went out to get eggs this morning. I've had a RIR setting on some eggs for a while, and this morning and there was a little black baby under her this morning. I have possums and hawks in the area, so I usually take them from the mama and raise them inside. Upon taking this little guy inside, I noticed that he has an area right behind his right wing that looks like the skin was just peeled off, and there was a small piece of eggshell stuck there, so maybe he got stuck to the shell? It's very red and ooze-ey. I applied Neosporin earlier, but this little guy has yet to get up and walk around, and I'm constantly having to pick him up to get water. I put some chick food in front of him, and he's uninterested. I'm worried about him. Any advice?

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Do you think maybe he got peaked by another hen? [​IMG]

3. juniper8209

Apr 3, 2010
    Crocker, MO
    The only way he could have been pecked was by the mama hen. She won't let any other hen close to that nest! Could she have maybe stepped on him by accident and done that to him? This is the second baby she's hatched. The other one was hatched yesterday and she did fine at first, but then I noticed her trying to take a dust bath with the baby underneath her, and that one got dirt all in her eyes. Talk about tedious work...trying to get all that crud out of her eyes while she was flailing around! Needless to say she's not a great mama. [​IMG]

4. juniper8209

Apr 3, 2010
    Crocker, MO
    Sad news. The little one didn't make it thru the night. [​IMG] I kind of expected it since he couldn't walk or feed/water himself. Still sad though.

5. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG] That's sad. I'm sorry to hear that the chick didn't make it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by