Baby Chick Hatched *PICS* - First time mommy needs advice!

katiek

Songster
11 Years
Nov 4, 2008
Wildwood, GA
Hey everyone! This is my first time incubating and hatching chicks. I've been doing my research for the last 21 days, but now that the day has arrived, I feel totally unprepared. Any last minute advice would be appreciated.

First off I walked in this morning and there was a baby already hatched, I expected for the day to start off with pipping and cracked eggs and such. However, one baby is already out. It seems that no on else has even started to pip. When I last candled, they seemed to all be good.

I walked in and the baby was just laying there, still wet, breathing and responsive when I talk to him. But he/she won't stand up much. I am assuming he/she's just tired from breaking out of that shell. Is that right?

None of the other babies have even cracked their shells. So what do I do? Take him out when he's dry? Or put water in there for him to drink? Or wait for all them to hatch before even opening the bator.

Being a mommy is scary and exciting!!! Thanks for all they BYC support!

Here's my first incubated baby!
18055_hatching_chicks_001.jpg

I'll put up more pictures when more babies come!

don't open the bator. The chick won't need water or food for I think something like 48 hours. Don't mess up the other eggs by opening the lid. The chick will probably lay around for a while and slowly dry off and perk up. Eventually it will be walking ( wobbling) around the incubator. Hopefully with it chirping etc...it will kick the other eggs in gear and you will see more action soon! Congrats on the first born!
wee.gif

That's exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks!

I'd read posts about people getting anxious to want to open the bator, but I had no idea it was this nerve racking!!!

I'm getting so excited running back and forth to peek in the windows of the incubator. I keep talking to them like they can understand me....
smack.gif

Last edited:
Seems like there's always an early bird!! LOL Yes, keep the lid on and don't worry yet. The rest should start soon enough. Have fun and try to relax. We've all been there!
lol.png

I swear I had lower back injury during my hatch last week!
lau.gif
I just stood there bent over the incubator for it seems like hours. It is so hard to not want to get the hatched ones out. But as I let them be they really did perk up and it was fun watching them do laps around the bator while the others hatched.

Ha Ha! Now the little one is starting to move around....not walking yet, more like flopping.

He has rolled some of the eggs around a little, is that okay? two more have broken a little hole in their shell! I can't wait!

Thanks for the continued support!
wee.gif

Oh my gosh! I can't stand it!! Waiting is soooo hard!

No more progress.

I am not good with patience.
th.gif

Thanks for all the good wishes and pep talks!

Well, I just got to watch my first chick hatch out of its egg.

So cool!

Here are some pictures, sorry about the glare on the incubator window.

18055_hatching_chicks_013.jpg

Here is the chick I watched hatch out with the chick from earlier!
18055_hatching_chicks_018.jpg

Only 5 more to go!! Only one more egg has an egg cracked in it. How do I know if the other ones are going to hatch?? Just wait?

Back
Top Bottom