Baby chick hatched today 10/15/14 The natural way.Now what do I do ?

jennyoung420

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 15, 2014
Hi Guys

So our black Australorp has hatched a baby chick today 10/15/14. we live in south Carolina near georgia
She did this the natural way, started sitting on some eggs in one of our nesting boxes, there were maybe 5 or six eggs total, not sure when or if those eggs are fertile.

So I have a couple of questions, should I separate the mother & the baby from the other chickens (1 rooster 9 other females) ?
The nesting box she is sitting in is inside the house they roost in at night, no food or water to attract vermin.

I would like for this to be as natural as possible ( her responsible for the chicks )

It is very nice during the day mid 70's, however it is cold at night mid 50's

Should I add a heat lamp?

I assume she will protect the chick & will debut it when it is big enough ?

Here are the 2 plans in my head

Plan1. Do very little provide chick feed & water, don't disturb mother & chick leave them in the flock

Plan 2. Separate mother & chick from flock. I have a nice new dog house with a nesting box already mounted inside & this play yard to sit the doghouse in to keep curious hens out

If I opt for plan 2 what bedding should I use? how long do I contain them,

I have not fed the chick how do I introduce food ?

Can I move hen, chick & remaining unhatched eggs into the more secure doghouse nesting box without causing major upset like abandonment ?

Ok guys thank you in advance for your advice

Mama hens have been raising their chicks in with the flock for a long time, both before and after people. All they need from you is to remove the layer feed, which can harm the chicks. Just feed the whole flock whatever you are feeding the chicks. You can put out a bowl of oyster shell for calcium if you have laying hens; the chicks won't pay it much if any attention. Mama will keep the chicks warm, run off any overly inquisitive hens, and teach them to eat and drink, as well as to stay near her. They might appreciate a little extra hay tossed around so they can nest where they choose, and a couple of bricks so the chicks can reach the food and water might help. Any roosters usually ignore the chicks or else help the mama raise the chicks. No heat lamp is needed, even in winter. Mama takes care of that. (You'd be surprised how much cold the chicks will tolerate; they will run around for a few minutes, then run under mama to get warm: rinse and repeat.)

The mama will stay on the nest until she decides the eggs are through hatching, keeping the hatched chicks under her or close by, then she will abandon the nest to raise the chicks after a day r twi. She will not appreciate being kept on the nest at this point; she has mothering to do. If you think you have viable unhatched eggs when she quits, an incubator is really your only option.

Good luck!

Ditto to Judy's post. I let momma do her thing and it works out quite well. She'll hang out there a day or so after this first chick hatches. When she leaves the nest, clean out any unhatched eggs at that time. All the chicks need is a feeder and waterer that's low enough for them to reach, and momma to watch over them.

Enjoy! Watching a momma hen raise babies is one of the coolest part of keeping birds!

Back
Top Bottom