Baby chick hatched with a bent neck

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenTiff, Jul 3, 2009.

1. ChickenTiff

ChickenTiff In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Texas
    He has a huge bend in his neck and cant straighten it. He seems healthy, such a cute little personality. He will stand his body and legs really tall and push into my hand for attention, but has that neck issue. Wonder what happened to his neck?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    We had one like that. My son had to make certain she got water and food.. .and it was difficult for her because of the bent neck. Eventually she straightened it out... her name was Neckie... she died at 14 months last week from heat prostration.

3. LA~Poulet

LA~Poulet Songster

Apr 27, 2009
    near Lake Charles, LA
    Don't give up on it yet! In my last batch of hatching I had one late hatcher who had a bent neck-he spent the first 24 hours on his side, couldn't even stand up. The second day he managed to back into a corner, and the third day he managed a couple steps before falling over again.

The fourth day he was eating and drinking a little on his own even though he couldn't look to the right or lift his head high. He's not quite two weeks now and almost indistinguishable from the others except for a slight posture issue-every day he becomes more 'normal'.

I'm so glad I waited-at 48 hours I was thinking we were definitely going to have to cull him.

4. Oklahoma Lightning

Oklahoma Lightning Songster

Mar 3, 2009
    Twin Oaks
    High jacking post sorry
    I had a turkey hatched today that was to big for the shell. So, I took a jumbo egg flat, cut out three section long three wide. Then cut the center two long out so I had a cradle. Put a washcloth over it to make a sling. Put him in it with his feet under him. He stayed in there a few hours then got out. He got his feet under him now and sets funny and he lays on his side a lot but he improving a little at a time. Plus he not laying all balled up and flat anymore. He a Pencil Palm for what I paid for eggs, I will give him physical therapy if it helps.
    So, don't give up to soon.

5. ChickenTiff

ChickenTiff In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Texas
    Aww Good, he does seem much better this morning!

6. milleryardchx

milleryardchx Songster

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    my friend has an ee hen who is 8 years old and has a bent neck since she hatched they just call her crook and she lays like one egg a month still haha

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: