Baby Chick Hatched Without Eyes

candi027

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2022
I recently got an ISA Brown pullet who was hatched without eyes. I have never had or raised chickens before but am very interested and willing to learn because i have hope of raising this chick to live a long happy life. I have a set up for her with a brooder lamp and thermometer, feeder and waterer. I have been doing lots of research since getting the chick and i am assuming the chick is at least a week old because she has developed some wing feathers already. I am also assuming she has been eating and drinking well since she is at the least a week old although i have been giving her some water with a syringe here and there just in case. It is possible that this chick will survive. I have hope that she will!

Can you post photos? I have never raised a blind chick, but I know that they can survive and live a happy life. Peck at the feed with your finger and make a clucking noise, this will help show her were the feed is. Dip her beak gently in the the water as well. Once she figures out where the feeder and waterers is, she'll likely be able to do things herself. Once she does, its vital not to move the feeder and waterer from that spot so she doesn't have to readjust. Do you have any friends for her? If not, you may want to get her one or two. Chickens are flock animals and don't do well alone.
Good luck! I hope more experienced members pipe in soon. They my have more tips.

I recently got an ISA Brown pullet who was hatched without eyes. I have never had or raised chickens before but am very interested and willing to learn because i have hope of raising this chick to live a long happy life. I have a set up for her with a brooder lamp and thermometer, feeder and waterer. I have been doing lots of research since getting the chick and i am assuming the chick is at least a week old because she has developed some wing feathers already. I am also assuming she has been eating and drinking well since she is at the least a week old although i have been giving her some water with a syringe here and there just in case. It is possible that this chick will survive. I have hope that she will!
Pics?

Incredible. It’s very possible she can live a long and healthy life…. with extra care from you. I raised a blueslate Turkey who hatched without an eye and was blind in his malformed left eye, very unfortunately. We built him a special large enclosure on our rear porch, so I could tend to his needs easily. He was able to learn to use the walls to guide him to his food and water (I also fed him myself). I brought him out every day to stretch his wings, enjoy the fresh air, and strut all he wanted under my supervision. He was able to even be around the chickens and turkeys and be as normal a Turkey as he was able to be. I was very attached to him, because he was a fighter from day 1 and such a special Turkey. He lived a very long and content life. Raising a blind animal can be done quite successfully. Perhaps, they all deserve a chance. Good Wishes for your journey.

Can you post pictures?

Seeing pictures would help everyone give the proper advice. In a previous reply, I could only provide my own experience with raising a blind bird. For me, it was really time-consuming but very much worth it TO ME raising a blind male Turkey (for several years).… he was a fighter and thrived quite well. Pictures could show us whether the chick is thriving.… important to know.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom