Baby Chick having seizures?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ychickenmama, Mar 6, 2017.

1. ychickenmama

ychickenmama New Egg

Mar 6, 2017
    One of my 2 day old baby chicks seems to be having seizures. I have tried giving it probiotics and that appeared to help for several hours because it didn't have any episodes. But now it is having them again they seem to almost be continuous. Do I continue to try to help her or just put her down? Any other tips?
    Thanks!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome To BYC

Has the chick been able to take any water - is she possibly dehydrated?
    Check to make sure her vent is not clogged with poop.

I'm sorry you are having trouble, but I have no clear answer for you. There can be many causes of seizures in chicks. Give yourself and her a bit more time - offer supportive care (get her hydrated and warm) and see how it goes. If there is no marked improvement after a period of time you designate, then putting her down may be best.

3. teria

teria Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2015
    Salem Utah
    last year we had a silver laced wyandotte chick that appeared healthy when we got her, but when she was a day or two old she suddenly started having seizures where she would flail about cheaping madly and loudly. It was scary and I was sure she was going to die. She got worse and worse, but, would go a full day, or most of it, without having a seizure at all. At those times we thought she was past whatever it was, just to have her go through what we called spells. After a few days she slowly stopped having them. I can't remember exactly how long it took, but, from then on she had a head twitch that she couldn't control. She would just twitch about every minute or so. It didn't seem to bother her, and she grew up just fine, became a great little egg layer and was very friendly. No seizures either.

I don't know what it was ,but, it was scary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by