1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

baby chick help pleaseee

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ladyiris, Jul 31, 2013.

1. ladyiris

ladyiris New Egg

Jul 31, 2013
    i need help.. so I've only had chickens for 6 months and we bought a few fertile eggs a few weeks ago and yesterday one of them hatched.. the mother is aggressive and very protective and when her chick is not under her wing they are constantly calling out for each other.. i bought mother and baby inside as i read that they need to be in a warm environment... i haven't bought any chick feed yet i am going to do that later.. I've given her pellets so far and crushed them down for her to eat I've also given her a mixed seed feed and some grit which she has eaten. my worry is shes not drinking any water.. I've got a bowl of water in there and I've tried to put a few droplets on both mother and babys beaks but they just wont have any of it.. also the mothers crown thing on her head has gone from a dark red to a very pale pinky colour... I'm a little worried..

any advice on looking after a newborn chick would be helpful

thanks

lady iris and baby george/ georgia

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Let's break these questions up so I can answer them properly...

Quote: Totally normal. This is what you want!

Quote: They do not need to be in the house. I have had broodies raise chicks in the dead of winter. One day I had a broody hatch her babies on the coldest day of the year -22F. No I didn't bring them inside. The mother keeps the baby warm. No worries about temperature. I suggest you return them to the coop

Quote: You need to buy starter. Pellets are a very bad idea for chicks. Especially if they are layer pellets. They can get by on grower, but really need higher protein than that..

If it is grower pellets, soak them with water.

The seed feed and grit is fine. Just make sure you offer more chick feed than the seeds.

Quote: Okay, bowl of water is not a good idea. The baby can easily drown in a bowl of water (I've seen it). Buy an appropriate chick waterer. They look like this:

[​IMG]
    As for them not drinking: They probably are, you are just not seeing them do it. How old is the baby? It most likely won't drink for a few days after hatch. Everything it needs was in the yolk that was drawn up into it's abdominal cavity before it hatched. This reserve allows the baby to live for 3 days without food or water.. This is how they ship chicks a distance. The reason this happens is because all chicks do not hatch at the same time. The mother will sit on the nest until the hatch is complete. If the babies didn't have this reserve, they would perish waiting for their siblings to hatch.

Quote: This is also totally normal. When they are broody (as your hen is), or are molting, young, or too old to lay any more, their comb shrinks and is a much lighter pink. A large bright red comb is a sign of a hen currently in lay (or a rooster).

[​IMG]
    In lay

[​IMG]
    Broody

3. ladyiris

ladyiris New Egg

Jul 31, 2013
    hank you sooo much.. so I had an old waterer that I stoped using a while ago so I got that out and its working perfectly.. I did see her jump into the bowl once n almosy uad a panic attack soni removed it straight away.. I wrmt and bought chick pellets yesterday which im happy to see shes eating.. mother seems fine we let her out for a day and then bought her in later as one of the other chickens were pecking at her aggressively. . moyhers majorly protective which as u said is good. but Ive been getting bruised hands evertime I change her water or try to feed her.. thabks so much for your advice you really helped me and my chick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by