Baby chick help!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickdeight, Feb 11, 2012.

1. chickdeight

chickdeight Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2012
    My stupid brother stepped on the chick. He is limping and can still walk, but im nervous and i dont know what to do??? Help!!!!!!!
    Any advice??
    Thanks!!!!

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Just keep looking at the baby chick. Chicks are amazingly resillient.... These things happen, and that's why they are called "an accident" and not on purpose. Praying the baby chick will be okay.... Farmer Nancy

3. chickdeight

Jan 20, 2012
    Right now he can still walk but his other leg mostly do not touch the floor...
    I'm really worried please help or advice,.

4. chickdeight

Jan 20, 2012
    His ankle is warmer than the other, it's swollen I guess but what to do??

5. chickdeight

Jan 20, 2012
    Well thank you for viewing and not answering at times like this,. Thanks very much !!!!!!

6. Kismet

Kismet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    New Hampshire, USA
    I am sorry to hear about your chick. Do you think it has a broken leg? If you are lucky, it is not broken and it is just swollen, after a few days the swelling will go down and he may be all right. If it is more serious than that, it is possible that you may have to put it down. If the chick cannot use both its legs, it will never grow up to be healthy and be able to compete with other chicks for food or to bear the weight of a mating cock if it is a hen, or be able to mount hens, if it is a cockerel. I am hoping for you that it recovers! [​IMG]

7. birdlover99

birdlover99 New Egg

Jan 31, 2012
    New York
    Idk if this will help but, my friends chick was born with an awkward leg, and she used aa little plastic clamp found like anywhere and secured it gently on his leg so it grew back into place, not sure how bad yours is but Rey just bowed it's head gently in water every half hour because just like humans they gie up hope, and mashed up the chick food even more. -still alive today- here's a pic hope I helped. Shannon. [​IMG]

8. birdlover99

birdlover99 New Egg

Jan 31, 2012
    New York
    oh, and you can e-me if you have anymore qu's hope i helped (e-mail: [email protected])

9. chickdeight

Jan 20, 2012
    How do i kow if its broken? All i know is his ankle is warm but hes still able to walk just the other leg is sometimes up and so on..

10. Kismet

Kismet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    New Hampshire, USA
    Well, if he can walk, that is good news. Just keep making sure he is warm and getting food and water and wait it out. I know that is easier said than done, but you have done all you can. Now, nature has to do some healing. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by