Baby chick hobbling on elbows

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Harmon Gardens, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Harmon Gardens

Harmon Gardens New Egg

Mar 3, 2009
    I need some help on my two week old chicks that aren't standing anymore! They were ok until today and now several (7 out of 15) are barely moving on their legs - more like a still shuffle on their honches. They were placed in a brooder with four week old chicks four days ago and were fine as well the older chicks don't have this affliction. I've moved the two week old chicks out to a separate box and even did some taping to their feet, thinking they had curled toes or something! HELP ... I'm a true novice and really thought I had done my reading and research.

2. cwc362

cwc362 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Huntingdon- West Tn
    What breed are they? Some heavier breeds are prone to going down on their legs. I think the jumbo cornish are really prone to this and sometimes even other heavy breeds.

3. Mysto

Mysto Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    I have a Sussex that is doing that now too - she is about 4 months old though. She got picked on by one of my older hens and started limping on one leg. Now her "good" leg seems weak too. I have her by herself, but she seems to be getting worse, not better. I foun dher laying down on her side tonight. I tried to help her stand up, but she kept falling forward. I have Purina Kitten Chow and Chick Start out for her to eat - hoping she'd get some extra protein, but I'm not sure she even has the strength to move around?? Should I put her in a box that's too small for her to move around?? Any advice would be so appreciated...thanks

4. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    I would tend to think that from what you describe it may be a vitamin deficiency.
    What are you feeding your chicks? They should be on a chick starter feed, with chick grit available 24/7. Although some say they don't need the grit until later, I always have had it in from day one.
    You can always try the Poly-Vi-Sol Infant Vitamins, WITHOUT Iron and give them some additional protein with scrambled eggs. Yogurt is good for them too.
    The vitamins are 3 drops along the chick's beak daily for a week then gradually decrease the dosage the next week if they are doing better to wean them off the vitamins. I've given Poly-Vi-Sol for 2 and 3 weeks with no ill effects before decreasing the dosage.

5. Mysto

Mysto Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    they are eating chick starter and I also give them fresh fruit/veggies. With the lame hen, I have crushed Purina Kitten Chow (read it's good for extra protein) and mixed with the starter. I tried putting out a mixture of yogurt/egg yolk/honey/oats, but she wasn't interested. Can they be force fed something like that? I will get the infant vits for her tomorrow...thanks for the suggestion!

6. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    I've never fed chicks that young anything other than their food and some yogurt/scrambled eggs.
    I didn't start fruits or vegetables until they were older so that they'd not want that instead of the starter feed and not get all the nutrition they needed.

I wouldn't force feed them anything unless they were just not eating and getting weak. Instead of mixing all that together, maybe try just some scrambled egg, or some yogurt mixed in with some cooked oatmeal. I've not fed the honey either so don't know about that. I only give the older girls fruits that are sweet and no added sugars.

I got my Poly Vi Sol at Walmart. Most drug stores have it too.
    Keep us posted on how they do!

As far as the hen... They should start layer feed at 18 to 20 weeks and have oyster shell or aragonite for calcium available with their granite grit. She shouldn't be on starter feed if she's started laying.
    If you've got a mixed age group together, I'd feed Flock Raiser for the additional protein or a Game Bird Chow for the older ones.

I'm off to sleep, will check in to see how everyone's doing, tomorrow pm. Take care!

7. Lolliegee

Lolliegee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    Quote:How are your babies doing? Any improvement? [​IMG]

ETA: Sorry, just realized the original post was only a few hours ago. It's getting late, I really should go to bed.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  8. Harmon Gardens

Harmon Gardens New Egg

Mar 3, 2009
    Thanks for the responses to my problem. I moved them last eve to a separate box and tried the band-aid thing on their feet as some seemed to have curled their feet under themselves. I think they were terribly stressed yesterday and were sleeping each time I checked on them. I read on another site using an eye dropper with Cod Liver Oil and a couple drops of Apple Cider Vinegar in their water. Anyone tried this remedy? Off to the pharmacy for me ...

9. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    If you have multiples with this problem, you likely have a problem with your feed (old or missing ingredients). 2 weeks is just about when all the goodness from the yolk has been absorbed and used up.
    How old is your food? Where did you get it? Was is from a bulk bin or bulk bagged? Was it from a local mill? If yes to bulk bin, bulk bag or local milled, or over 2 months old or you don't know how old it is (ie given to you by someone else)--
    immediately get new chick start from a commercial mill and do add vitamins to their water, including calcium and vit D. they may get better if this is the problem.

my guess would be ricketts (vit D or calcium deficiency)
    another quick way to check for this is are their beaks flexible? can you bend them with your finger?

They could all have slipped tendons, but that would be weird unless they are broilers/meat bird, then still it would be weird as they are so young.

10. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    also check for heavy mite infestation- sometimes they can be so weak they will drop to their hocks, but then they usually are not eating/drinking either

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by