Baby Chick Holding foot up

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by read2kds, Apr 23, 2017.

1. read2kds

read2kds New Egg

Apr 19, 2017
    I have 15 baby chicks that will be 3 weeks old Tuesday. I moved them to a bigger brooder late in the week. I have one Barred Rock that is holding her foot up today when she isn't moving. It looks fine but I'm a worrier. Could she have just twisted it or jumped on it funny and be favoring it or is there something else I should be looking for? Thanks! #firsttimemama

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Chickens will do that. They think it makes them look cool.

Levity aside, have you examined the bottom of the feet? Look at both feet for signs of injury - swelling, scabs, broken toe nail. I've had a chicken hold the unhurt foot up while standing on the injured one, so that's why you need to look at both feet.

In fact, it's good to make a regular practice of examining the feet. I just recently adopted an older hen that had never had a foot inspection in her life. She had the worst case of bumblefoot I've ever seen, and it took weeks to treat the rabid infection.

3. starrmar006

starrmar006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2017
    My chick did that once he thought it made him look fierce and "Cool" like @azygous said it makes them think they look cool

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  4. read2kds

read2kds New Egg

Apr 19, 2017
    I did check both feet and they look fine. Also I just went out to sweep up all the shavings they love kicking out and she never did it while I was out there! She must have been trying to show off! Thanks for your responses!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by