Baby Chick Identifier

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RitzHomestead, Feb 19, 2015.

1. RitzHomestead

RitzHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2015
    Marble Hill, GA
    So when we picked up our chicks from Tractor Supply (which I will never do again) I did not realize that the pullets were all mixed breeds. So we have 10 total and 8 are all identical and are yellow with dark coloring on their wing tips, and then we have two that are a little smaller than the others but they are completely yellow. Could anyone help? Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Call them to see what breeds they have.
    Then go to this site which has pics of chicks at the bottom of each page. When you get to the bottom of the page there's a link to the next page.
    Yellow chicks could be about 200 different breeds.
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKChickensA-C.html

If some are significantly smaller, they're probably bantams.
    Also check, leg color.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  3. RitzHomestead

Feb 19, 2015
    Marble Hill, GA
    Thanks, I tried doing that while I was in there and I got the whole " I don't know they are all mixed" The whole experience at the Tractor Supply that I went to was awful. They were not very helpful and seemed annoyed at the fact we were excited about getting new baby chicks. Then to top it all of the girl who put my box together didn't do it correctly so when I was walking to the check out the bottom of the box opened up and some of the chicks fell out. Never going there again!

4. RitzHomestead

Feb 19, 2015
    Marble Hill, GA
    Yea I agree!

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If you call the manager, they'll have a list of the breeds they bought.

1 person likes this.
  6. Lynngraham

Lynngraham Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2014
    I purchased some of the same chicks from my tractor supply and was told they were white barred rock.

7. esme13

esme13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2014
    New York
    Some look like either red sexlinks or RIRs

8. CliffB

CliffB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    The yellow with red wings in the pictures are more than likely New Hampshire Reds or Red Sex Links. As far as the box goes it isn't how she put it together. These are new boxes for 2015 and are not the same design as previous years. Since these boxes have been released and issues have arisen there has been a service bulletin if you will that the bottom of the boxes need to be taped to reinforce them .The boxes from 2014 were significantly better made but for 2015 they tried to increase the size of the box to increase the holding capacity of the boxes and in turn the structural integrity wasn't as great. Now as far as the smaller chicks go i can only barely make out one of those chicks so i can't help there.

9. CliffB

CliffB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    Also if the yellow chicks were just marginally smaller than the reddish chicks they may be Buff Orpingtons. They have been coming in significantly smaller than the other chicks. This is a RIR and BO at around 4-5 days old. Believe these were from Privett hatcheries.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by