Baby chick in distress

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by alessadry, Mar 3, 2011.

1. alessadry

alessadry Songster

Mar 3, 2011
    I just got last Tuesday 16 pullet chicks and one of them is really concerning me. Last evening out of nowhere she started desperately crying and scratching her head both sides. She was also rolling on her back scratching and seemed in real distress. I inspected her ears and eyes and could not see anything wrong with her. After 15 minutes of doing this we thought she was going to die because she kept her eyes closed and seemed lethargic. We separated her from the others by putting her in a box because the others were starting to pick on her. Then she flew out of the box, shook her head a bit and acted normally for the rest of the evening.

The following day she ate/drank and acted normally, yet, this evening same exact thing happened. Five minutes later, put her in a box again and she continued scratching her head in distress, chirping and rolling onto her back. She also rested panting for a few seconds in between the scratching. Then she flew out of the box and so far is doing fine again, she ate, drank water and is now sleeping. This is really odd since it happened again this evening. It is just odd how it happens suddenly, last for about 10-15 minutes, seems really in distress and then flies out of the box, shakes her head and acts normally for the rest of the evening..

The other chicks are fine. They are on paper towels and we are feeding baby chick feed against coccidia. The paper towels are totally removed and cleaned once a day. They are kept under a red lamp at 95 degrees and are happily exploring most of the day. They are living in a 105 quart plastic container like those used for storing stuff. Hubby has also given some grit since yesterday. Two pasted up but are now ok but this chick is not one of the pasted up ones..

I wanted to post a video of the happening to shed some light but as a new user cannot post it.. any help is appreciated.. we really want all 16 to survive!

Ok link worked this time, here it is:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  2. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Songster

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    Make the video, upload to your blog or youtube, and post the link here.

3. alessadry

alessadry Songster

Mar 3, 2011
    It is already in youtube. I think it is posting the link the problem. Perhaps anything starting with www. is not allowed for new users. Anyhow, the chick did it again the other night, then went again back to normal. I emailed the hatchery and they have no clue as to why she is doing this. Am trying to post it again. I hope it may help other users who have experienced this as well. Some in other posts said maybe it is the new feathers coming out? But this seems very distressing for being just a minor itch...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  4. alessadry

alessadry Songster

Mar 3, 2011
    Ok link worked this time, here it is:

5. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Songster

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    Sorry. No clue. I have a few chicks that do that too, but they've outgrown it.

Perhaps someone else?

6. triplejfarms

triplejfarms In the Brooder

Mar 7, 2011
    weird i have no idea...? hope you find some answers! [​IMG]

7. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Songster

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
  8. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Crowing

Jun 19, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Get a magnifying glass and look her over ALL over everywhere for lice or mites, they are tiny so look close!

9. violetsky

violetsky Songster

Feb 14, 2011
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Could it be neurological, something like an epileptic seizure?

10. terry's chicks

terry's chicks In the Brooder

Feb 15, 2011
    Curious? that was a few days ago, how is she now?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: