Baby chick in need of help !!

Sheridan Rapley

Hatching
Jul 31, 2017
Hello, please help one of my chicks hatched yesterday (with help) and has deformed legs that curl inwards ! He is bright and loud at the moment but I'm unsure if it is fair to keep him alive ? Please help !

I have read that sometimes putting the chick in a glass, and putting the glass in the brooder with the other chicks could help by causing the chick to jump up and straighten and strengthen the legs. It is worth a try.
It doesn't sound like splayed leg, but you may look that up to see. There is information on making a brace for splayed leg on the internet. Is the chick able to walk and get to food easily? If the exercise in the glass doesn't work, or the brace doesn't work, I would advise culling the chick. I once worked with a chick with a splayed leg deformity. It would fight the brace. It hopped on one leg when it was small, but couldn't support it's weight on one leg as it got bigger. It was a traumatic experience for the chick and me. I'm sorry

He can walk ! But moves on the sides of his feet! Thank you very much, I will definitely try these! I'll do my best to help him but I will keep in mind he may not make it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom