Baby chick in the dark

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jefntami, Mar 23, 2013.

1. jefntami

jefntami Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2013
    I Turn on All the lights on in our garage during the day where we have our 4 week chicks. They were in a room in our house with a sky light the first 2 1-2 weeks. So they had day light and night time along with the heat lamp. In the garage it is dark all the time. I just think it is good to have more light during the day. My husband thinks i am silly. What do u all think?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and welcome to BYC! Not sure how dark it is in the garage in the day but I know chickens don't move around much without light...so if it's dark in the garage they will need some light in the day.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Are there any windows in the garage they could be near? They really like being in a "sun spot" - light on during the day is fine, but if on all night they may not sleep.

5. jefntami

Mar 23, 2013
    No, there are no windows. They seem to be more active during the day, when the lights are on and settle down and lay down and sleep at night when i turn off the lights.

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I raise mine in the garage too but it has a window and the big door is always open during the day. So they get lots of natural light. If the garage was closed and completely or mostly dark I think I'd leave a light on too.

7. jefntami

Mar 23, 2013
    I live in the Pacific Northwest. If I left the garage door open they would freeze to death. It has been 30 degrees at night and then in the mid 40 during the day. We don't see the Sun very often this time of year.

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Like all animals active during the day, chicks will do better if given a bright day environment and dark night. If it is too dark during the day they will be much less active, and eat and grow less than they should. In addition, chicks are not fully feathered out until 6 weeks of age, and should still have supplemental heat unless your garage is warmer than about 65-70 degrees for about another 2 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by