baby chick in trouble

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Merrymouse, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Merrymouse

Merrymouse Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Hi when I got home from work one of my baby chicks is hurt. Looks like its toe was maybe bitten off. Its walking a little but its bracing itself with its wing. The was a spot of dried blood which I cleaned and put a small spot of antibiotic ointment on. I gave is a dab of nutridrench just off my fingertip because I dont think it ate or drank much today. How can I help this chick? What should I do?

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Can you post a picture? It would help us figure out what to do.

3. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    How do you feel its toe got bit off----is it on a wire floor? Can anything get to its feet under the wire floor?

4. Merrymouse

Jan 8, 2017
    Massachusetts
    no its in a dog crate with a solid floor on pine shavings. Not outside in my study in my house so no rodent or any thing.

5. Merrymouse

Jan 8, 2017
    Massachusetts
    She is a cochin with feathered legs so its hard to see but Ill try to take a pictures.

6. eggbert420

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    That's why I want to see a pic I'm wondering the same thing.

7. Merrymouse

Jan 8, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Hard to see in the pictures because it the outside toe and it's feather covered. The whole toe is not gone. May have just been the nail. Very small chick. Maybe 5 or 6 days old [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There was some crusted what I assume was blood which I cleaned off she is definitely wobbling and using her wing when she starts to tip over for support

8. eggbert420

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Just keap it clean, to prevent infection. She should be back to normal in a few days. Good luck

9. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    There is probably nothing you can do about it as long as its not bleeding where other chicks are picking on it---- I would just monitor her----its probably sore>

10. Merrymouse

Jan 8, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Those pictures are not very helpful I'm afraid. I took the chick away from the others on a towel in a pet carrier with a heating pad over her. [​IMG]

She crawled under the heating pad and tucked herself in. Maybe when my daughter gets home I can get a better picture. Hard to do one handed. Am I doing the right things so far?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by