baby chick injured

lexilewis2001

Songster
Mar 10, 2019
I have been raising chickens for over a year now, and all of them have been hand-raised from chicks besides 2 hatches. My first hatch was not my own eggs, but went extremely well. The mom got broody again, and this time around I had a rooster so I used my own eggs. 2/4 eggs hatched without issue, but one got stuck. It had been 36 hours and it still was stuck and not making progress. I brought it into my house and helped it hatch a little. I left it in my incubator overnight so it could finish the process (my mistake). At about 8am this morning, it was hatched! I took it out, snuck it under the mom, and went out. I returned at about 3pm to a bloody, abandoned chick. I thought it was dead, but there was life! I rushed it into my house and immediately wanted it to have heat since it was very cold. After heating it up, I gently cleaned the wound and put medicine on it before wrapping it and returning the chick to the incubator for more heat. Am I doing this correctly? I've never had a sick/injured chick. Does this chick have a chance?
WUZfpTxTSxCmJceIu0DnTQ.jpg 58854217367__F1757814-876C-4F14-899E-268E2FEA160F.JPG

View attachment 1889748
hi guys. my baby chick is doing well! she’s very lively, but has trouble moving on her own. she absolutely loves to lay in my hand!
Can she hold her head up on her own?
I would remove the bandage and keep the wound moist with triple antibiotic ointment.
Do what you can to get her hydrated. If you have Poultry Nutri-Drench, give her 2-3 drops twice a day. Wet chick starter or a little soft cooked egg would be good to offer if she's able to eat.
Hopefully she will recover quickly.

Back
Top Bottom