Baby CHick Injuried?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mlbrooks13, Aug 19, 2016.

1. mlbrooks13

mlbrooks13 New Egg

Aug 19, 2016
    This my first time raising chickens, so any and all advise is welcomed (I am still trying to use the right lingo too).Tonight I had a incident with my approximately 2 week old chicks. I was cleaning there brooder pen and put all but one back in their pen. My husband went back in the house and the wind caught the door letting my dogs out. I was holding one of my baby chicks in my hand and shooing my dogs back into the house with the other. My dogs are 130 and 110 pound Alaskan Malamutes. Anybody that knows Malamutes, they have a high prey drive and I have kept them strictly separated. This is actually the first time my dogs have realized that we even have chickens. Anyway, the 110 pound 1 year old malamute realized I had something he wanted in my hand. He tried to pull this chick out of my hand! He has been taught to take bites and treats out of my hand gently but still! He didn't pull the chick hard enough to get the chick out of my hand, but the chick started tweeting loudly and flopping around. I laid the chick on the ground because I was just sure it was dead and turned my back for 5 seconds. When I turned around the chick was walking across the floor following me. She only flopped around for 5 seconds and then she just acted stunned. This all happened about 2-3 hours ago and since then she has stood in the corner or in my hand with her eyes closed. She will open her eyes, look around, and pick at her feather like normal. She has full movement of her neck and holds it up like normal. She walks normal but acts a little unsteady on her feet at times. There is no blood or signs of injury. I had her separated from the other chicks but when I couldn't figure out if she was just stunned or injured I put her back with the others for comfort (they have never been separated). They aren't bothering her. She is just standing, walking around a tiny bit, and sleeping with the other birds. I haven't seen her eat or drink. Just peek at the ground once or twice.
    What do you think? Could she make it or could she be injured internally and suffering?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] sorry for the circumstances. 24 hours should tell the story as to her survival. There is the possibility of internal injuries, but then again she may be OK. Good luck.

3. mlbrooks13

mlbrooks13 New Egg

Aug 19, 2016
    Thanks for the response. I have her separated now with another docile chick. I gave her some honey water too (the other chick loves that!). She will drink some of the honey water if I offer it to her with a syringe and then she will peck a couple bites of her food then close her eyes again......... So I guess I will see....

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Separating her out with one chick for company was a good idea. Everything sounds positive so far. Give us an update tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by