Baby chick injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by A GIBSON, Oct 7, 2016.

1. A GIBSON

A GIBSON Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2016
    [​IMG] this baby hatched about 330 this afternoon. Has bleeding somewhere around the wing area.. the chick has perked up a bit and is with 2 momma hens and 7 other recently hatched. [​IMG] this was about 830 this morning. I noticed blood then also but was told it was probably normal. .. any suggestions? What should I watch for? What can I do?

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Watch for the others to peck/pick at the wound area. You can cover the wound with something such as blue kote, or at very least, corn starch. Old farmers trick. Covers the red so the others don't pick. Cheap, but has no healing properties.

Another option is to separate the chick for now, although chickens are social and don't like to be alone. It would most likely benefit from the company of the others.

If the chick is otherwise thriving, (eating, drinking), it should make a full recovery. Please keep us posted. :D

3. A GIBSON

A GIBSON Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2016
    Thank you so much for the info! ! I was really worried about the little bitty. The chick is a good deal smaller than the rest but I feel that it's a full silkie.they all were up and pecking around this morning it looks like it's still a little wobbly but walking and following mammas and siblings . Blood is dried and has stopped seeping for now.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by