Baby chick is now just over three weeks old - breed unknown and sex unknown

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GlenChick, Mar 21, 2015.

1. GlenChick

GlenChick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2015
    Just over three weeks ago my broody Australorp pullet hatched two chicks from 6 fertile eggs that were given to me by the local feed store. One of the chicks didn't survive the first night, but the second chick did, and has proved to be quite a character.

I didn't have the set up to separate foster mum and chick from her two pullet sisters so chick and 'mum' have been in with the rest of my small flock from less than a week from the chick hatching.

The chick has been renamed 'Speedy' due to its agility and speed around my small run, dodging big pullet legs and feet, and even doing little test flights from my hand back into the run. It's absolutely fearless, stealing food from the big pullets (who admittedly are acting as 'godmothers' to the chick), and it seems to be higher on the pecking order than poor old 'mum' who is the smallest of the three pullets.

It's eating a variety of food - things that its scratched up from the dirt, a little cooked wholemeal rice (which all the birds get most evenings), chick food plus other grains and seeds that 'mum' directs it to eat. It loves insects and will catch flies on the run, and also the little bugs that I gather from the compost heap and that the pullets go nuts over.

The natural mother I believe was an Australorp, but I have no idea what the father was.
    I have no idea what sex the chick is, and at three weeks it may be still too early to tell.
    If anyone has any hints about breed and sex, it would be welcome as I can't keep a rooster in town and I don't want to get too attached to a chick that will have to be given away.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    I think it is an Australorp and I'm not sure of the breed yet.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It looks like an Australorp mix, probably with Wyandotte (because of the rose comb- pure Australorps have single combs). It is to young to be 100% sure on gender, but I'm thinking pullet

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

5. GlenChick

GlenChick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2015
    Thanks for the responses. I'll have to look up Wyandotte to check them out. Keeping my fingers crossed for a pullet too.

Edit: have been reading that the Wyandotte is very vocal - that would explain the constant chirping from the chick, and also its interesting character.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by