Baby chick is puffed up, no energy, sometimes wheezing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tatuana, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Tatuana

Tatuana Songster

Dec 30, 2018
    Utah
    Bought some chickens from IFA this afternoon. Had them in a cardboard box while I adjusted the brooder. When I went to move them I noticed one isn't feeling well. She's puffed up with no energy, and her crop was empty. She's breathing hard and fast. I gave her a small heating pad that I've used with my other babies in case she was cold. A little while later she began wheezing very loudly for about ten seconds at a time. It's only happened maybe three times so far.

Poking some sugar water down her seems to have perked her up ever so slightly. Not much. That's when the wheezing began. I used the same method I've used before when I've had sick chicks. She did get the energy to take one poke at the food and clean a feather.

I know wheezing is NOT a good sign. What's up with her? Her buddies are all fine. What can I do to keep her comfortable? She's a little smaller than my palm currently, not sure of age.

glassdragonfly likes this.
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It can be dangerous to force fluids down, since there is adanger of choking. Drip fluids a drop at a time into the beak, letting them swallow. Electrolytes, such as Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell would be best, but you may also use some lukewarm Gatorade or Pedialytes. Give it as much as you can today and tonight. Check for any poop on the vent that may be stuck. Some chicks at feed stores may not get enough water or food from one reason or another. I have seen some near me who use nipple waterers when chicks were too short to even reach them. I hope your chick gets better.

3. glassdragonfly

glassdragonfly Songster

Sep 3, 2019
    Ozark,mo
    Sorry your chick is feeling poorly. Hopefully some of the more experienced folks here will pop in. I have not figured out how to tag anyone yet,sorry

Chickglamma likes this.
  4. glassdragonfly

glassdragonfly Songster

Sep 3, 2019
    Ozark,mo
    Yes! Eggcessive is here!

5. Tatuana

Tatuana Songster

Dec 30, 2018
    Utah

Yeah, I've been very careful about watering her. I put a small drop on the side of her beak and let it get in that way. She's now prone to breathing REALLY fast with her mouth open, then settling. I know the water has been getting down her, though.

I think the water is helping a bit. I just remembered I do have electrolytes on hand for her. I'll see if she'll take a bit of that. She hasn't eaten or had anything to drink since coming home. She did poop on me earlier. A nice big fat one. It was dry enough that I was able to just flick it off me. I can't say if that's normal since I try to avoid being pooped on, though.

How much liquids should I try to get down her? Just whatever she will take? She has my full attention for a few hours until bed. I want to make sure she has the best chance possible.

So much for my theory of buying chicks from the store to avoid sicknesses, eh?

Chickglamma and glassdragonfly like this.
  6. Tatuana

Tatuana Songster

Dec 30, 2018
    Utah

This has been her today. The heating pad has since been washed, covered and bent into a snuggle cave for her. She's staying in the box with a small water and food dish I found finally. The others are in their proper brooder.

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    She may have aspirated some fluids. She is not well at all in the first video. I would be extremely careful syringing fluids into her. See if she will drink if you hold a cup of water to her beak.

Can you get a picture of just her poop?

8. Tatuana

Tatuana Songster

Dec 30, 2018
    Utah
    That's what I'm thinking. I do know how to water animals, but I don't claim to be perfect by any means at all. I usually work with puppies and kittens. I've only helped two birds/chickens before.

I did remember to get a pic of the poo before I cleaned it up! Excuse the messy floor, it's my rabbit room. (In the heated garage)

The solid one is the one she did earlier. The liquid one she just spat out when I was putting paper towels in and replacing the cover on the heating pad.

IMG_20191008_215953.jpg

IMG_20191008_215702711.jpg

glassdragonfly and Wyorp Rock like this.
  9. Tatuana

Tatuana Songster

Dec 30, 2018
    Utah

This was her just a minute ago. When I came to change the bedding she was eating a bit. When I put her back she puffed up again. But she complained and flapped at me when I moved her.

(I forgot to Demon Kitten proof her cage and Kitten shredded it trying to bury the chicken poop earlier - no chickens were harmed and I got Kitten out in 15 seconds.)

glassdragonfly and Wyorp Rock like this.
  10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    She's looking better in the video, at least with her breathing!
    I know you were careful :hugs It's hard to get fluids into a chick, they are so tiny!

When you brought them home, you noticed she was not feeling well. The puffing up behavior is concerning and I'm not liking the looks of that poop. If she were mine, I would treat with Corid. Do you have any? Give it to all the chicks in their water.
    Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water.
    Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

upload_2019-10-9_8-4-35.png

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: