Baby chick isnt walking correctly. Please help.

Ms.Melba

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 14, 2011
First off, I would like to say that this site has been my 'Chicken Bible' since my chick was born. :)

My class was incubating eggs and the time came for the eggs to hatch this past Wednesday, May 11. 2 tried to break through but one died in the process of getting out. The other had trouble getting out of the egg for 2 days so we helped it. Out of 18 eggs, he is the only survivor. He has trouble walking as he walks on his "knuckles". He eats and drinks, though he hasn't pooped, at least I haven't seen it. He also has this yellow thing on his butt.

Chicken Little is a trooper and peeps when I walk away from him and will try to fly out of the box when I am next to him. Lol.

Wow.... only 1 out of 18, that is sad...
i can see why you are so attached to this little guy... is there any way to get a picture?
what was your humidity at during the incubation?

Quote:
I'm not sure. The instructions that came with the incubator said to fill the tray with water every 4 days, which we did. Last school year we did the same and out of 20 eggs, 17 hatched.

I had a chick like that once. I made a tiny "boot" using a piece of cardstock that was cut to the size of his foot with his toes stretched out properly. Then I attached it onto the underside of his foot, keeping his toes out straight, using medical tape.

Ive had 2 now do that and I gave them polyvisol vitamins, put it right in their mouth and maybe it had nothing to do with it but after 1 dose they were standing upright and now are fine, they couldn't walk or stand....this happened a couple weeks after hatching so may be something diff, but try them they can't hurt

Here is Chicken Little.

1305410856.jpg

Back
Top Bottom