1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby chick isnt walking correctly. Please help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ms.Melba, May 14, 2011.

1. Ms.Melba

Ms.Melba Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    First off, I would like to say that this site has been my 'Chicken Bible' since my chick was born. :)

My class was incubating eggs and the time came for the eggs to hatch this past Wednesday, May 11. 2 tried to break through but one died in the process of getting out. The other had trouble getting out of the egg for 2 days so we helped it. Out of 18 eggs, he is the only survivor. He has trouble walking as he walks on his "knuckles". He eats and drinks, though he hasn't pooped, at least I haven't seen it. He also has this yellow thing on his butt.

Chicken Little is a trooper and peeps when I walk away from him and will try to fly out of the box when I am next to him. Lol.

2. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    Wow.... only 1 out of 18, that is sad...
    i can see why you are so attached to this little guy... is there any way to get a picture?
    what was your humidity at during the incubation?

3. Zgoatlady

Zgoatlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Enumclaw, WA
    My Coop
    What you need to do it make little shoes for him.

4. Ms.Melba

May 14, 2011
    Quote:I'm not sure. The instructions that came with the incubator said to fill the tray with water every 4 days, which we did. Last school year we did the same and out of 20 eggs, 17 hatched.

5. Ms.Melba

May 14, 2011
    Quote:How do I do that? Little chicken shoes!! Too cute!!

6. JestersEye

JestersEye Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Mullica Twp., NJ
    I had a chick like that once. I made a tiny "boot" using a piece of cardstock that was cut to the size of his foot with his toes stretched out properly. Then I attached it onto the underside of his foot, keeping his toes out straight, using medical tape.

7. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Ive had 2 now do that and I gave them polyvisol vitamins, put it right in their mouth and maybe it had nothing to do with it but after 1 dose they were standing upright and now are fine, they couldn't walk or stand....this happened a couple weeks after hatching so may be something diff, but try them they can't hurt

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

9. Ms.Melba

May 14, 2011
    Quote:Where can I get that vitamin?

10. Ms.Melba

May 14, 2011
    Here is Chicken Little.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by