Baby chick just killed :(

rirbrahma

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 25, 2011
hawaii
Today, while I was making oatmeal for my 5 week babies. The neighbors dog stole & killed 1 of my babies..
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

It was the first time one of my chickens died.. I felt so bad! I'm still crying over it.. I fixed my gate & made it dog-proof. It was so hard to accept it she was one of my favorites(star, A barred rock)
There is nothing I can do but protect the ones that are still here.

SO my question to you is: Should I tell my neighbor and ask if she can keep her dogs away?
Thanks

Last edited:
You ought to at least let your neighbor know her dogs were running loose. If you explain what happen, she may feel remorseful and offer to get you a replacement.

hugs.gif
I'm sorry you lost your chick. Predators always seem to go after the favorites.
sad.png

Your neighbor should have her dog contained in her yard. She should also replace your chick. A good neighbor will offer before you even ask. If not, tell her how much you need to get a new bird. If she fails to keep the dog contained you may need to look into solving the problem yourself.

I would also go over my fence and gates to make sure they are as tight as possible.

Absolutely tell them - but wait until it isn't as raw a situation- or if you're like me you'll either sob uncontrollably the whole time or get angry at their lack of compassion. Once you are self controlled talk with the neighbor about it and take someone along for moral support.

If they have a heart they will feel badly and may offer to replace or pay you for the chick - of course no money will do that - I would instead respectfully ask them to secure their dog. Try to work out a way for them to not end up with their dog taken to the pound or killed. I believe that a dog that attacks and kills a chicken will try it again at it's next opportunity. The dog may not have intended to harm the chick, but who cares what the intent was if the dog killed your chicken. You will have to secure your chickens as best you can - locking gate, fencing, etc., and they will have to keep a better eye on their dog and maintain control of it.

Bobbie has it right plus I really like the way it was put. For sure let the neighbor know, but not with the emotions "raw". I like that. How did the dog get to the chick to begin with? You say you fixed a gate. Your gate or her gate. Was the fencing bad.

But I would explain to the neighbor the has to stay home. That's not being rude either. Just something that has to be.

Be prepared for them not to care
hugs.gif
love.gif
I have a horrendous problem with the dogs out here in our county and most of the owners couldn't care less! I try to make my property as secure as possible but that doesn't always work. I am sorry for your loss
hugs.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
Also be aware if you get the police involved they may retaliate. I was frustrated and called the local sherrif who refused to do anything at all and then the neighbors shot my goose in the face with a pellet gun to get even!

Mellisa Rose.........all you can do there is get a good, accurate, quite rifle and 5 gal of lime. Take care of your place, and let the idiots take care of theirs. I'm one that will handle whatever come downs my driveway. One good thing here is I have a fantastic relationship with all my neighbors here. The only one I've had any problems with has that place for sale. If I just had the money I know I would love the new owner.
lol.png

To shoot the goose is so elementary. Really pitufull.

Mellisa Rose.........all you can do there is get a good, accurate, quite rifle and 5 gal of lime. Take care of your place, and let the idiots take care of theirs. I'm one that will handle whatever come downs my driveway. One good thing about living here is I have a fantastic relationship with all my neighbors. The only one I've had any problems with has that place for sale. If I just had the money I know I would love the new owner.
lol.png

To shoot the goose is so elementary. Really pitufull.

OMG if that was me i would tell them and if you loved it you should be ferm, i mean if one of your animals killed there dog they would go crazy because they love it. tell them to sort it out and keep that dog away. it should have never been on your property. if it was me i would make them pay for the chick.
somad.gif
rant.gif

Quote:
My hubby bought me a wrist rocket and then the next day he picked up a whole bag of acorns to use as ammo - not for the dogs by the way
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
love.gif
hugs.gif
The goose is Miss Penelope and is as sweet as sugar so I'm practicing my aim