Baby chick keeps falling on its back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HeatherLynn, Oct 20, 2011.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    3 day old maran

Hatched here, no exposure to other poultry, came from a lady who is npip, all other chicks are super healthy and active

This chick started out super healthy and active and is slowly declining. At this point it cannot stand. It just squats. I cannot leave it alone at all or have water in with it because of the standing issue. At this point I sleep on a couch near it and it has to be alone to keep it safe.

It was given vitamine water after hatching, medicated feed, temps are good.

It has almost drowned twice now when it has fallen in water while trying to drink. I quickly pluck it out and dry it and get it warm again.

I need ideas before my husband makes the very hard call of culling.

2. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Hmm that sounds wierd. So was he up and walking normally before? I wonder if he has spraddle leg?

Also make sure to check his little butt really good to make sure he isn't plugged up with poop. Sometimes they can have just a small amout dried on and it can keep them from pooping. Have you noticed if he is pooping normally? They can decline like that in a day or two if they can't poop.

3. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Doesn't look spraddle leg. I have had to deal with that before. It could be. might treat for that along with everything else. grasping at straws right now. The little bum is fine. I have been checking them all a few times a day just to ensure that problem never gets off the ground but so far its not been an issue.

Not sure how many nights I can skip sleeping trying to fend this thing off but I'll keep trying until I run out of options.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by