1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby chick keeps pruning one wing, and it looks a little red.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Gabrielle, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Gabrielle

Gabrielle Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    Just looks moderately red, but she has been laying down all the time. Do you think there is anything wrong with her? Or her maybe pruning to much, she is only 3 days old.
    She is a Buff Orpington. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  2. CinnamonQueen12

CinnamonQueen12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    shes just preening that one wing? if you think it looks red, take her out and examine the wing. does the joint look swollen? can you extend it? is she screeching in pain whenever you touch it? it could be broken. have a good look at it, and if it looks bad, you could splint it yourself, even if it isnt broken, just to ease some pain and stop her from picking at it. do some research on it. also, make sure shes eating and drinking.

3. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    check the area for problems such as a cut , growth or possibly infestation of mites. Check vent area for lice eggs. Bathe if either is seen. PM me for instructions.

If it just looks red I would recomment the following products Schreiners Herbal Solution- you should be able to get this at the feed store. Spray a little on the reddened area 2-3 times a day for a few days. If this doesnt work then try pure Emu Oil - you should be able to get this at your local hollistic, vitamin supp store and on line. Use it 2xs a day on the area for a few days. Good luck

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by