Baby chick - Leg Dislocation?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ceeej123, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Ceeej123

Ceeej123 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2015
    Please help. Our chicks were delivered today. One had it's foot caught in the box fold and was hanging upside down! It's leg drags behind it and it cannot stand but seems to be a strong healthy bird otherwise. We are feeding it with a dropper!! Here are pictures. We think it is dislocated....please help. What do we do! These are my first baby chicks!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chickenpatch

chickenpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    The leg definitely looks dislocated, but not so much as broken.

Take the chick to a vet as soon as possible! The vet should be able to tell you what's wrong without charge.
    It'll be very risky and hard for you to try and pop the leg back into place, and if you decide to leave this chick in this state then it will never walk again and won't grow up healthy.

Let me know what you decide to do. But remember, this chick won't heal itself and you need to take immediate action to ensure it doesn't hurt the chick as much in future.

3. Ceeej123

Feb 3, 2015
    I completely agree. No vets are open right now where we are, but after twisting it's leg into place and tucking it in for a little bit it seems to be trying more to use the leg. So we tucked it's leg in and immobilized it with a little red ribbon. This chick is the toughest little thing. It's still eating heartily from the dropper! Trying so hard to just keep him comfortable, warm, well fed...and we are looking around for vets in our area that may be open after hours. Thank you!

4. Bloveschickens

Bloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    My Coop
    Subscribing to this thread, I don't really have any advice but I really hope that your chick will be okay [​IMG]

5. Ceeej123

Feb 3, 2015
    Thank you. It is such a strong little baby! I'll keep you posted!

1 person likes this.
  6. Zahreenuh

Zahreenuh Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2014
    New York
    Watching this thread in hopes everything goes well! Reminds me of my sweet silkies when they were babies. What kind are these? Very adorable [​IMG]

7. Ceeej123

Feb 3, 2015
    Thank you. It's a bantam silkie.

8. Ceeej123

Feb 3, 2015
    Well, my hurt little baby didn't make it. Out of the 17 we received 9 of them have died. Just too weak to eat and drink. The shipment was long and stressful and about a day and a half too long! The rest, all but 1, look healthy and busy. Waiting for the last little weakly one to pass on and hoping that's all the deaths we have out of this bunch. (They were shipped Monday but didn't arrive until THURSDAY!! That was just too much for these little babies.)I've learned a lot already through this process. All face great challenges (as do we), some fight hard to survive, some give up, some try but don't have what it takes on the inside and life is too big for them...and those that are struggling like company and cuddles. You can learn a lot about life from a chicken.

9. Bloveschickens

Bloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    My Coop
    I am so sorry about all of your chicks it would be horrible to have that many die[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by