Baby chick - Leg injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by primaknits, Mar 3, 2014.

1. primaknits

primaknits Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2014
    I received my order of chicks from Meyer last Wednesday. All of my chicks were fine, but yesterday I noticed a one who won't bear weight on its right leg at all. It pretty much just stays put, or hops a couple steps if it needs to. I'm not sure how to check it or what to do for its injury. It seems like it is in pain when I touch the joint where the leg bends or when I try and straighten it out. It looks slightly red and maybe a bit swollen? I'm not completely sure on that one this is the first time I have had to deal with this sort of thing. I don't think I could get a picture of it because it always has the leg tucked under itself and I have no one else home right now to help. It is still eating and drinking, but just stays put in one spot for the most part. Is there anything I can do?

2. Mei&Popcorn

Mei&Popcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Make a splint for it's leg? Here's how one blogger made splints for crooked toes and spraddle leg (these won't really help your situation, but it might give some ideas?)

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by