Baby Chick Lethargic and Sitting like a lump :( HELP

jackiehershfeld

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 9, 2013
Maryland
I have three silkies and four silver laced wyndottes all just a couple of days old. I picked up the wyndottes from the post office this morning, the silkies I picked up on Saturday. I have them all in one large tub, separated by breed since they are a couple days apart. The one little wyndotte is extremely lethargic, and sitting like a little lump, chirping loudly.
Worried she might be cold I heated up a rice pack wrapped the heated pack in a towel, and she is now laying on it. I also gave her a little water by dipping her beak in. She isn't fighting me holding her, or anything, I just want her to feel better. Help please!

mandymae1984

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 9, 2013
If you can go to your local feed/ag store and get some Save-A-Chick electrolytes for it. It comes in a three packet pouches and you mix one pack with the amount of water in the directions. Sometimes shipping the chicks really stresses them out and can cause them to be weak. This should give it a good boost. If you can't find that someone told me you can give them pedialite not sure how much or if you need to dilute it though. I hope this helps!

jackiehershfeld

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 9, 2013
Maryland
Thank you @mandymae1984 ! I will get some of that tomorrow first thing. The little bit of sugar water I gave it seems to have given it some more energy - at least enough to eat a bit and rejoin her fellow peeps. Im keeping a close eye on her. I can't imagine how stressful this is for these little things!

mandymae1984

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 9, 2013
You're welcome! I hope it's feeling 100% soon! These little beings are so fearless at times but they can get really stressed too! When we got ours we have one that when you got close to them in the brooder it would come strutting out while the others ran to one corner scared to death haha. They shipped us 25 chicks in a box so small that when we got them there was literally barely enough room for them to walk two steps that's it so I can't imagine what that would be like dark small box no room and being held in there for two to three days!

Top Bottom