Baby chick lethargic standing tall and looks like she’s trying to poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Aristocat123, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Aristocat123

Aristocat123 Songster

May 22, 2019
    Florida
    Last night I noticed that my 2 1/2 week old Blue Splash Marans was very lethargic and sitting by herself. I initially thought that she had a problem with her legs and immediately put niacin with electrolytes and probiotics in their water . They usually get ACV in the water. She did drink water this morning but I didn’t see her eat. She had a full crop last night. She also had pasty butt within a few days from arrival from the hatchery and I cleaned it with warm water and put olive oil by her vent. At times she is standing tall moving her vent up and down like she’s trying to poop. I just gave her some water and molasses and a little bit of olive oil and she did poop but she’s still sitting by herself. What else can I do for her.
    I took a video of her after I gave her the molasses and olive oil so she wasn’t too happy with me. Thank you in advance for your help.

DobieLover likes this.
  2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    If you think she is constipated I would feed her about 1 teaspoon of frozen coconut oil broken into small chips.

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you get a photo of her poop?
    Her vent is clear of poop?

I would provide her with fresh plain water, she may not be drinking enough with all the added ingredients. Re-check the crop first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks to make sure it's empty.

Constipation does come to mind. The molasses and olive oil should act as a laxative.
    Coccidiosis is something else to consider, do you have any Corid on hand?

Leg issues are treated with B2 (Riboflavin), Niacin is B3.

4. Aristocat123

Aristocat123 Songster

May 22, 2019
    Florida
    She pooped as soon as I put her back in the brooder and last I checked she was drinking water and she ate a little. I’ll try to get a pic of her poop. I don’t have Corid. She keeps moving her little tail up and down so that’s why I thought she could be constipated. Thank you

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  5. Aristocat123

Aristocat123 Songster

May 22, 2019
    Florida
    Not sure if she is. It’s her standing tall and moving her tail up and down that made me think it was...I’m going to try the coconut oil. Thank you.

DobieLover likes this.
  6. Aristocat123

Aristocat123 Songster

May 22, 2019
    Florida
    Here Is a pic of her poop. I thought B3 is good for fortifying legs while they’re growing.

Thank you

Attached Files:

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Niacin (vitamin B3) is important in ducks for leg issues, but @Wyorp Rock said, riboflavin (B2 ) is the one that may be deficient in leg issues in chickens. The tail miving up and down seems to be because she is panting a little. How warm is the temperature in the brooder with a thermometer? It might be a little too warm, and that can lead to panting and pasty butt. Pasty butt is also common with shipped or feed store chicks as well. Mine usually clear up by the end of the first week.

Wyorp Rock and Aristocat123 like this.
  8. Aristocat123

Aristocat123 Songster

May 22, 2019
    Florida
    They don’t have a lamp they have a thermo brooder and they go in and out as they need it. She doesn’t have a pasty butt anymore. Room temperature is 76. I did have ducklings and that’s when I used B3.What else can I do to perk her up? Thank you

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Just from my experience with shipped or feed store chicks (who have also been shipped in the mail,) when one has pasty butt, they tend to get it more than once for up to a week, even without too much heat. I always check them daily, since if they have it, they don’t eat and drink normally. It could be that there is some solid stoll stuck up high. There also could be a crop or gizzard blockage, from eating bedding. You can dip the chick’s beak for a half second in water to get it drinking more. Hopefully it will get sorted out. The coconut oil, solidified slightly in the fridge and chopped into tiny pieces might be an option tomorrow, if it is not pooping.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How is she doing?
    When you feel of her rear is there any swelling of the abdomen?

B3 (Niacin) is good for leg health in ducks.
    Chicks that are deficient in Niacin can present with bowing of the legs, poor feathering, dermatitis of the feet and head and enlarged hock joint. It is important, but "usually" feed should should have a sufficient amount.

Aristocat123 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: