1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby chick making strange noise

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by brandy21410, Apr 15, 2016.

1. brandy21410

brandy21410 Chillin' With My Peeps

I hope that this nose noise is okay that my 9 day old EE is making the video qont upload, so i would describe the sound as a loud chirp thats repetitive and it is doing it while deficating, could the chick be constipated or dehydrated? If anyone has any info it would be appreciated

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    No audio here.

3. brandy21410

i know im sorry iam trying to figure out how to upload the video its not working, but the chick is chirping while deficating and its a loud chirping over and over, is that normal?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  4. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You are correct in suspecting your chick is in distress from constipation. It's chirping non-stop and ramps up the chirping when pooping because it's in a great deal of pain when it tries to poop.

You need to do something now. Right away! The easiest way to get mineral oil into a baby chick is to hold a little container of it under its beak as if it were water. Since chicks only know clear liquid as water, it will probably take a healthy slurp, and that may be all that's necessary to clear the jam.

Mineral oil is best, but coconut oil will do, as will olive oil. When I give this advice, it's surprising how many folks have only vegetable oil on hand. It's the absolute last thing I would recommend, but use it if it's all you have.

Without immediate intervention, your chick will die.

Also treat the vent, which by now will be inflamed and swollen. Coconut oil is the best first aid for this. It has antibiotic, anti-inflammatory and pain relieving properties. While you are dealing with the rear end, take a little eye dropper or syringe and squirt a tiny bit of oil just inside the vent to help soften the plug from the lower end.

It shouldn't take long to see results.

5. brandy21410

thank you I just gave her some olive oil right now and also for her vent because it was very red so thank you again thank you for the advice I jope she will be okay

6. caitychicklady

caitychicklady New Egg

Mar 21, 2016
    This happened to one of ours too at about 9/10 days. We did everything people told us - warm bath, massage the belly, olive oil, mineral oil, we even did a chicken enema (wow).

Here's what I think worked best.

We made sure the temp in the coop wasn't too warm. At 9-10 days they can handle less than that recommended 85-90, which was probably contributing to dehydration. I think we got our coop down to about 75-80. We verified she was drinking water and we fed her plain greek yogurt. No sugary kind, just the full fat good stuff. We had to feed her sisters the yogurt too, because she was a bit shyer about eating, but I think this really helped with digestion. Other people recommended probiotic supplements and apple cider vinegar, but our chick wouldn't touch water with that stuff in it, so yogurt did the trick. Finally, we went out and bought preparation h, and i applied it to her vent twice daily until it got better. It took her a bit to start pooping normally again (all told this was maybe a 5-7 day ordeal), but she came through like a champ. Now she's 7 weeks old and out in the coop with her sisters doing great!

Good luck. As a first time chicken mom, I was freaking out!

7. brandy21410

I think the brooder is too hit perhaps i will lower the temp right away. Since i gave her the oil she is not much better she has to deficate alot and she always has successful bowel movments but she struggles and peeps as she passes them. Idkif she is eating too much cause she is bigger than the rest of the chicks.

8. brandy21410

I gave her yhe oil a couple of hours ago but she still struggles and she dies so often, but doesnt seem to be in distress at all. Her vent is much better now and she does pass feces but she strggles with it do u think it could be shes eating too much or perhaps het crop is impacted? I hope she wint get worse.

9. caitychicklady

caitychicklady New Egg

Mar 21, 2016
  10. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    What do the poops look like? Are they normal appearing like the other chicks? Or are they tiny and hard, looking more like shriveled grains of rice?

If the poops are tiny and hard, then she needs another dose of oil, both ends.

Don't worry about the crop. That's very unlikely to be the issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by