Baby chick missing half of 1 leg

Tj92

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 31, 2014
Hi

Can a baby chick survive even though it's missing half if 1 leg ? It is bouncing around n trying to stand on its good leg and uses it's wings to stabilise itself while on its good foot. It's eating and drinking by itself , can it survive like this as we don't really want to have to put it down

I honestly don't see why not. As long as there is no infection or anything, though it may have trouble roosting, and getting around, when it is older.

I have a little hen that has a bad leg, and can't walk on it, and she has trouble with the other chooks beating her up.

I have seen plenty of chickens get around okay with using one leg. He/she might just have trouble roosting.

If it can learn to get around ok it should be fine. Just keep an eye on it and make sure other chickens don't pick on it as it might not be able to get away from them fast enough or fight back. Make sure it has a comfortable roost that it can easily manage when it gets older and maybe give it extra treats or something. It won't be able to scratch around like other chickens do. And you might want to check its one foot regularly because if it develops any foot problems it won't be able to get around at all.

Good luck
thumbsup.gif

Please keep us updated on how it goes :)

Back
Top Bottom