baby chick needs help (new pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by txmel, Aug 5, 2010.

1. txmel

txmel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    please tell me if i can do anything else for it. just hatched this morning and had some yolk that was unabsorbed and sticking out its abdomen. i put some neosporin on it and pushed it back in. every time the little one chirped it would come back out so i used a cotton ball and some of that stick only to itself wrap and secured the cotton ball so it was applying a little pressure to hold the yolk in. will this work or is this little one not going to make it? if it works any idea how long i should leave the cotton ball on?
    any help please.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Maybe I am totally missing the boat here, but I would think that it would absorb or dry up and fall off-I don't know that I would be messing with it at all.
    I would suggest keeping it away from the others in case they decide to peck at it.
    What time this morning did it hatch?

3. organicfoltzfamilyfarm

organicfoltzfamilyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Trafalgar, IN
    If it has a small amount (I assume because you said you pushed it in) it will just dry up and fall off. No need to go shoving things [​IMG]. Had it happen I just let it dry up on it's own. Txchick is right, DO NOT put it in the brooder with other chicks. They will peck at it and cause some serious issues.

BTW take the cotton ball off of its booty.

4. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    I had a chick like this a while back. He was like your chickie. I honastly don't think it was a good idea to shove it back in, It would most likely have absorbed on it's own over time. Go ahead and take the cotton ball off the baby's body. Btw how big was the left over yolk?

5. txmel

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    the sac was about the size of a marble, i have kept it away from the other one that hactched out yesterday. i just took the cotton ball off and it looks better hopefully it will go ahead and dry completely now and all will be good [​IMG] thanks for the help all. tomorrow if its still doing well i'll need to make some chick shoes for it because its toes are curled. poor little thing.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  6. organicfoltzfamilyfarm

organicfoltzfamilyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Trafalgar, IN
    Did you help the chick out of the egg?

7. txmel

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    nope the chick zipped out around 7:30 this morning. it struggled getting out of the egg carton and dragged it shell some i think the humidity was to high or something because it was all sticky and has a lot of what i'm guessing is egg white stuck on it too

8. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    I think he'll be fine. [​IMG]
    can you post pics of his toes?

9. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    It should just dry up and come off on its own. Two chicks we helped hatch had all the egg sac left on we just left them and eventually it dropped off in its own time bit like a little baby humans umbilical cord. Don;t mess with it you can give it an infection! Our chicks are fine and 8 weeks old now and there was way more yulk out than yours.

Oesdog - [​IMG]

10. txmel

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    Quote:here are a couple pics that show her feet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    she moves all over the place but her toes stay kindof curled up

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by