1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby chick needs HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sonshine silkie, Aug 30, 2014.

1. sonshine silkie

sonshine silkie New Egg

May 28, 2014
    I have a white silkie hen and she has hatched 6 chicks.Well as they started hatching I noticed that one more egg had started pipping. I went and checked on them hourly, and about 24 hours later when she got up and started moving around I noticed that the chick was still trying to get out of the egg. The inside of the egg seemed all dried up and he was still struggling. So I decided to help the little guy. Well it was a struggle to get him out, and the white film on the inside of the egg was stuck to him. After I got him out of the egg he just laid there. And that night when I went to check on him again the mom was stepping on him and the other chicks were running over him and he was still in the same position that I had left him in before. At first glance I thought he had a rye neck, so I decided to bring him in I set up a brooder for him last night and gave him a little water from a syringe. This morning he looked healthier but something still didn't seem quite right. I dont know if he has a broken leg, I am pretty sure that he has 2 broken wings. His toes aren't turned the right way. And he can't seem to stand. He is absolutely helpless. I have done all I know to do. He doesn't know how to eat and in his condition I don't know that he will be able to. I am still giving him water every few hours from the syringe. I am totally NOT up for this. I don't know if there is a animal rescue place that I could take him to. Or if there is someone who knows more about these things than I do that would take him. He just really needs help quickly. Does someone have any ideas of where I could take him or what I could do to help him? Thanks[​IMG]

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Sadly, some chicks just are not "meant to be" ... they sense something badly wrong with this one and that's just a heart-wrenching fact of life. I'm in hopes that somehow he/she snaps out of it, but if it doesn't, know that you've done all that you can... [​IMG]

3. sonshine silkie

sonshine silkie New Egg

May 28, 2014
    Thanks for your encouragement! I'm only 12, so learning these facts of life are kinda hard. I know God is over all and gives life and has the authority to take it too, and that He ultimately knows best, but it hurts.

4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    For being only 12 years old you are quite the grown-up for being brave. I was touched to hear you speak of God. I, too, am a Christian and I'll say a little prayer for you and your flock tonight...God bless.....

[​IMG]

5. Pinkaboo

Pinkaboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    Cornwall in the UK
    Hi
    I'm 51 and haven't coped as well as you are doing when my chicks have had problems
    You are doing amazingly and whether this chick survives or passes away you have done so much you should be very proud of yourself

If you really want to let some else deal with this I can totally understand , but you have got this far it might be a good experience to see it to the end
    Hopefully a good ending! Are there any experienced adults in your area that could help decide if the chick is suffering and needs to be put to sleep
    Or if you could keep trying doing what you are doing?

6. sonshine silkie

sonshine silkie New Egg

May 28, 2014
    Thank you so much for your prayers![​IMG] He is looking worse, and I don't know that he will make it through the night. But I know that with God ALL things are possible! you have been so sweet to help me! Thanks

7. sonshine silkie

sonshine silkie New Egg

May 28, 2014
    I think I will try to see how it goes tonight, my mom and my dad have looked at it and they said it looked ALOT worse. He won't eat and really doesn't want to drink anymore either![​IMG] He not only looks hurt but kind of sick. My dad has found someone that will take him and try to help him. Thanks for the encouragement. Have a blessed night![​IMG]

8. Pinkaboo

Pinkaboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    Cornwall in the UK
    That's good you have found someone to help you, poor little chick
    Well done you did amazingly well x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by