Baby chick needs help!

Sara Monty

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 3, 2014
Georgia
My 4 day old chick is sick. I am so heartbroken and have no idea what to do, she seems to be getting worse, not standing up when I pick her up, not eating, only drinks with a dropper and even that is getting more difficult. She will peep occasionally, but it seems like she is in distress. I was up most of the night trying everything I could. Eggs, sugar water, yogurt. I just don't know what to do.

Her poop is clear and she isn't getting up. She is extremely lethargic & won't eat. I have separated her from the other chicks but I am scared that they will get sick just like she did. WHAT DO I DO!? Has anybody seen this before? I did not vaccinate and I do not give them medicated feed. I would love to know what you guys so that is natural to treat these types of things. Should I put probiotics in the water for the other chicks? I gave them ground up steel-cut oats with grit and some scrambled eggs yesterday & today their poop smells horrible, is that normal? AHHH, I was so happy to get them & now I'm scared that they will all die because I can't help :(:(

My guess is that cocci is the most likely cause. For that, give Corid (amprolium,) available at most feed stores or online at Jefferslivestock. Cocci is a very common protozoa, and Corid works by inhibiting the uptake of thiamine in the protozoa. Give it to the whole flock. It is added to water; do not put anything else in the water, and do not give vitamins while giving Corid. I'll give you some links that give more information as well as the dose for the two forms of Corid.

dosage: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/775739/blood-in-older-chicks-stool/0_20#post_11087272

general explanation of cocci: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/792579/just-found-a-dead-chick/20_20#post_11436103

one of many threads on cocci here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/461910/will-antibiotics-from-feed-store-treat-coccidia/0_20

X2, I'd treat for coccidiosis so you can at least rule that out. Should be able to find Corid at most any feed store or Tractor Supply. If you get the liquid you can give her a drop or two, undiluted, to get her started. Then mix with water and treat them all. For this sick one, she probably will not drink enough on her own, so give her the medicated water with a dropper or needless syringe as often as you can the first day or so. If it's coccidiosis and she's not to far gone, she should perk up in a day or so and start eating/drinking better on her own.

This may not be coccidiosis, it just may be something wrong with this particular chick that it's just not going to thrive no matter what. But you need to at least rule it out. If that's what it is it's easy to correct but you have to start treatment right away since it kills fast.

With these chicks being so young I'd go very light on the extra treats and let them eat mostly their chick starter. A little mashed, hard boiled or scrambled egg is fine but I'd let them eat mostly their starter.

No, She was the only sick one & she passed away. The other chicks seem fine and happy. I am treating the others with natural remedies in hopes to prevent any illness. Hopefully my remaining 5 will be fine!

Oh no! I gave them ground steel cut oats (raw) with a little grit for the diarrhea. I put just a few drops of ACV in their water. I also boiled some garlic and added some of the (garlic tea) water to their container. I mixed their starter feed with some raw garlic and cinnamon & green tea. These are all given as treatments and in small quantities. I always make sure to have water & starter feed out for them. They are all back to normal now but should I not do those things?

Does anybody know if any of those cause problems?
idunno.gif

Those particular things don't ring any alarm bells to me. The only 'treats' i give my chicks is hard boiled eggs until they are big enough to come out of the brooder. Next treat is meal worms. Treats are great but should be in moderation, a balanced diet is of utmost importance in developing chicks. Good luck with your peeps.

Back
Top Bottom