Baby chick, no heat or hen..help.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nicolepaschal, Mar 28, 2016.

1. nicolepaschal

nicolepaschal New Egg

Mar 28, 2016
    My sisters girlfriend gave me a baby chick, idk how old it is or anything. A church give it to them as an easter gift, they didnt want it because it kept them up chirping. I have no heat lamp, not even a simple desk lamp. Its chilly here currently temperature wise. What do i do? Im afraid its gonna die.

2. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    If you don't get it a source of heat, especially if it's 'chilly' - then your baby chick's days are likely numbered. A single chick is also a pretty lonesome creature...

3. sarahandjay

sarahandjay Chillin' With My Peeps

You need to get it warm weather it be with a heat lamp or desk lamp. It was probably chirping very loudly due to being lonely. Chicks do not do good alone. You can try to put a stuffed animal with it and maybe a warm towel straight from the dryer.

4. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    You can also make a warmy by putting rice in a cotton sock and microwaving for a minute or so. It will have to be rewarmed frequently though.

5. csaylorchickens

csaylorchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2015
    California
    My Coop
    Get it warm asap. Even in the bathroom with a space heater is better than nothing. Maybe look for someone who is wanting another chick? Who has experience with chicks? Or get it warm do a lot of research and make up a brooder for it and maybe get a couple other little chicks they need a lot of attention not much but if you learn about them and learn what they need it's not too hard. Just a lot of heat the first five to six weeks of life and certain kind of crumble pellets so they can eat

6. Pixijayne

Pixijayne Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2015
    I'm totally in shock a church was giving out baby chicks as Easter gifts *** !?!?!?!?!

You need to do a bit of a crash course in how to raise a chick, but if you do raise it can you/are you in a position to keep it healthy and happy ?

The problem for now is keeping it in a safe warm, just right environment. Heated rice packs are often too hot, then get too cold. Lamps are good but the chick needs to be able to get away from the heat if its getting too warm.

Why would a church give a living, highly dependent baby creature away as Easter gifts ... I'm gob smacked - can I ask what church ?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  7. 2oldnow

2oldnow Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2016
    Why go through the hassle and expense? Keep it alive until you find someone who can use it.
    Many years ago people would give away rabbits and chicks at Easter time. Most would end up
    dead within a short time.

8. sarahandjay

sarahandjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Its not that uncommon. Some churches instead of easter egg hunts release chicks and ducks and let the kids "catch" them. Not sure if that was the scenio here or not.

9. BaileyMChicks

BaileyMChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I think that is very ****ed up. Who would do that?! I don't see people giving away baby donkeys on Christmas! So why do it on Easter with chicks? And a church of all places...And letting the kids catch the little things?! They probably all got squished to dead....I hate when any place does that. I wonder if they gave out puppies and kittens if they would be treated the same as the chicks?? Most likely not, which ticks me off even more! Chickens can be just as friendly, if not more than, a dog or cat. I have a rooster that listens to me better than my cats! Just because you don't eat a dog or cat doesn't give you an excuse to treat it any different than a dog or cat or any other animal...Sorry for my little rant...I was just looking through threads and saw this and had to add my two-bits worth(if anyone gets that last reference please be my best friend lol)

10. BaileyMChicks

BaileyMChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Wisconsin
    As for this I would first get it warmed up, then see if you can find someone who can care for it better.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by