BABY CHICK NOSTRIL BLEEDING?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mqustar, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Mqustar

Mqustar New Egg

Feb 23, 2015
    The day before yesterday Ieft my 6 baby chicks with one of my older chickens and 2 minutes later after I went in to get more feed for them I found one of my chicks had a bloody nostril. It seemed like the top part of the nostril was gone. I thought maybe the chicken had pecked my chick and didn't think too much about it. Yesterday, I put them outside o the grass again but in a cage separate from my older hen. Later that night I found another chick had a bloody nostril. And this afternoon I found two more with blood on their noses. Im not sure what to do and why they are getting bloody noses. I have pictures attached. Please let me know if there are any suggestions on what I should do.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That is an unusual injury and I suspect it may be caused by pecking from the older hen, but whatever the cause is, you'll need to keep an eye on them and mask the injury with some blu-kote, if you have any. Bloody injuries like this are magnets for chickens of any age and they will peck at it enthusiastically, making it much worse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by