1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

baby chick not acting like the others, One eye closed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cindy2020, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Cindy2020

Cindy2020 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2017
    Plaistow Nh
    Pleas help...I have a three week old light Brahma chick who is not playing like the others and yesterday morning one of her eyes was closed.
    I thought it was from the others kicking up the shavings. I rinsed it with warm water and have been doing that several times a day.
    She is eating and drinking, pooping okay....just not as active as the others and she seems smaller too.
    Any Ideas?

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You need to get some Poultry Nutri-drench and give her a drop each day. Drop a few drops into the chicks' water bottle so it appears as a weak tea and make it up fresh each day.

The condition your chick is likely suffering from is called "failure to thrive". It usually is apparent during the first week, but the fact your chick has survived for three weeks is a good sign she can pull through with a little boost.

You might try feeding some minced boiled egg or crumbled tofu as a supplement so she gets a bit more nutrition. Make enough for the other chicks and feed the sick chick with the others since she's more likely to eat than if you separated her. Sprinkle some of the Nutri-drench over it.

The eye problem may be that another chick pecked it. Observe the chicks to be sure she isn't being picked on, which would be a common problem with a sick chick. I would get a little antibiotic ointment or ophthalmic ointment into her eye in case it's inflamed.

3. Cindy2020

Cindy2020 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2017
    Plaistow Nh
    Thank you...I have been putting electrolytes and probiotics in their water.
    I started the nutra drench in water yesterday but not sure how to give it to her directly.
    Was afraid she would aspirate? I did put some on my finger and wiped it on her tongue this morning. I will try the boiled egg...
    Thank you so much

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Continue to provide the electrolytes and probiotics. But the Nutri-drench will go immediately into the bloodstream without needing to be processed by her immature organs. Keep it up with the drop wiped on her tongue daily. This will kick start her under-developed digestive system and improve her ability to process nutrients over time.

This may require several weeks for her to catch up. But if anything can give her a chance to be normal the Nutri-drench will.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by