Baby chick not eating/drinking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kada6305, Mar 14, 2015.

1. kada6305

kada6305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    I have a bantam chick who is smaller than other bantam chick. Who is not eating at all. Also only drinks when I do it by hand. What can I do? Tried mashed up boiled egg. Ground up chick feed, fermented fed. She wont eat any of it. was thinking of feeding her through a syringe. what could I feed her, though? any sort of baby food? She also doesn't drink on her own. So I have to hand water her 2x every hour.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would start vitamins with electrolytes in her water, a product such as SaveAChick is easy to use. Dip the beak several times every hour through the night. If she is just a couple of days old, the fluids are most important, but if she is 3 days or over, then she needs the food as well. The vitamin and electrolyte water would be good also to put on her chick crumbles. It depends on how much time your family has to dedicate to trying to save the chick. I think it would be worth trying for 2 days, since she may recover, but after that, she probably won't survive without being able to eat.

3. kada6305

kada6305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    we got her 2 days ago form tractor supply. my guess is ahe's 3-4 days old. we got some save a chick. but she is already getting sugar and electrolytes in her water. I am going to try just wetting the food. not exactly fermenting it. see if that works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by