1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby Chick not eating or drinking HELP!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jhook1997, Feb 29, 2012.

1. jhook1997

jhook1997 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    We just got home with 11 baby chicks. Should be about 2-3 days old. One is lethargic and not eating or drinking despite being shown where/how. She'll drink if I hold a drop on my finger above her beak. Mostly lays around and have never seen her eating. Any ideas how to get some food in her w/o a trip to the store.

2. Wolftalk

Wolftalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    The Coop :)
    This has happened to me. All four of my rescued chicks died. All of the same symtoms. I still dont know what caused it. I Hope she is okay. May I ask....where did you get them?

3. jhook1997

May 18, 2011
    My Pet Chicken

4. Wolftalk

Wolftalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    The Coop :)
    Well thats odd. He might just not be as strong as the others, it happens ALOT. Is it really cold by you? Could that be it? What you can do is keep her hydrated, and what i did with a hurt hen that wouldnt drink was give it corn water. If you have any frozen corn and you put it in a little dish and put that in the microwave it melts and makes a sweet water. I Hope She Will Be Okay!!!!

GOOD LUCK!

5. bwalden

bwalden Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Arkansas

Sugar water. Mix 2-3 tablespoons of sugar with some luke warm water in a coffee mug. Dip the chicks beak in the water until you know it has got a drink. Do this 2-3 times very slowly. I had some doing the same thing last week. I just received an order of hatchery chicks in last week. I remembered doing this as a child for those chicks that always seemed to not be eating or just laying around sort of limp. Hope it works for you as well as it does for me!!

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  6. BackyardCountry

BackyardCountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    My Own Little World....
    mix up some fresh egg yolk in a bottle cap and dip her beak in it continuosly. Put some feed in the yolk after a while when she has a little strength. it works!

7. jhook1997

May 18, 2011
    I've tried dipping her beak with no success. I've mixed the sugar water and actually some disolved "chick starter" and put it in a dropper. She is taking this pretty well but is still very lethargic. Her eyes stay closed and she will not eat or drink on her own. She made it 24 hours this way and has perked up a little this evening. Actually pecked at the dropper! [​IMG] I guess I'll keep it up though I may try the egg yolk idea someone else mentioned. I try to brace myself for her not making it but the more you work with them the more you get attached!

8. bwalden

bwalden Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Arkansas

9. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    Rub VetRX on there becks!! Put a few drops in there water.

10. kelly52862

kelly52862 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    Kentucky
    My mail order chicks arrived on Wednesday am. The PO called me at 7:15, home with them by 7:45. Ordered 26, received 27. Three were DOA and since then 5 have died. 4 of them would not eat or drink. They were very weak. I tried sugar water and egg yokes, which didn't seem to help. The last one was eating and drinking, but found dead this morning. Good luck. I have not had any luck when they were very weak.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by