Baby chick not eating or standing!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chick cheap, Jan 5, 2013.

1. chick cheap

chick cheap Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2013
    Please help! My red broiler chick isn't standing up or eating or drinking! He just sits there and if I am not holding him then he starts chirping really loud. I get him to drink but i have to hold him and dip his beak in the water.I keep him separated from the other chicks but he still won't get up! I have him in a nice warm place. I can see a little cut on his leg but i don't know what to do!i have two other chicks and they are up and running, but this little guy just wont do anything! I cant get him to eat or run! I don't want to kill him! [​IMG] I feel like I've tried everything! PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!

Also they are a week old, just in case that helps!

2. Pretty-Poultry

Pretty-Poultry Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2013
    I'm sorry to say this, but some chicks just don't make it, like babies, some just aren't born or hatched quite right, Believe me, I know what you're going through :( I wouldn't separate it from the others much if I was you, because chicks get very stressed and scared when they are away from their group.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  3. chick cheap

Jan 5, 2013
    Well, this morning, she was getting better. I think she will make it. She is drinking by herself and is standing a bit. better than yesterday. I really can't kill her. This is the only the second time I had chicks, so I'm kinda new at this. I don't want to kill my chick![​IMG] It would be so sad!!! I will post a picture so that you can see what it really is. Thanks!

4. Pretty-Poultry

Jan 4, 2013
    That's good it's getting better :) and yeah it would be horrible to kill it. My uncle had to put down our guinea fowl, who had a deformed leg which was really painful for it. It would be good to post a pic, yeah

5. chick cheap

Jan 5, 2013
    I just came home from a party and I found her dead in her cage. I knew she wasn't gonna last long, I just thought that it would have been tomorrow so that I could spend more time with her.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Pretty-Poultry

Jan 4, 2013
    I'm so sorry :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by