Baby chick not growing

Ebrewer

Hatching
May 9, 2021
I have some baby chicks that arrived by mail on Monday. One of them started with an eye that would not open. I tried wiping it with a damp cloth with no luck. Initially she was pecking at food and water. The other chicks would often bump into her and knock her over from the blindside, and she is also unable to right herself. She is no longer doing any pecking. I have been giving her egg yolk in a syringe. But how long can that sustain a chick? I have separated her within the brooder, but she still just stands there. She has a vigorous cry, but doesn't do anything else. At a week old the other chicks are about twice her size. Eta: no pasty butt

Sometimes you have one that just doesn't make it no matter what you do. You can try your best and I wish you luck. It is crying because chickens are social animals and you have it isolated. I raise livestock and not pets but after a week of no improvements I would cull. At the end of the day it's up to you to do what you feel best.

I made her a little corner separated by chicken wire so they can still be "close." In fact some of the other chicks are now jumping into her area. Yes, I am used to early losses but I haven't had one hang on this long. Denying her food seems cruel, but I am also concerned I am just prolonging her suffering. Thank you for your advice and encouragement.

Back
Top Bottom