Baby chick not pooping?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by duckyquack, May 9, 2011.

1. duckyquack

duckyquack New Egg

May 9, 2011
    I have 10, 1 week old chicks. 9 of them doing great but one seems to be sick... She won't stand up and when she does, she will stumble or fall asleep. I separated her from all the other chicks, gave her some salt water and mashed hard boiled egg. She seems to be eating, but I haven't seen her drink or poop all day. Her vent is clean, and doesn't seem to be blocked.
    Any ideas of whats going on and how I can help?
    Thanks in advance.

2. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

What breed are they? Is she feathering in at a slower rate than the others. I never heard of salt water for an ailment perhaps sugar or buy chick electrolytes to mix in the water. Not much you can do if the vent is clean and she is eating and drinking. There may be something internally not right or just failure to thrive. Good luck [​IMG]

3. rhs7111

rhs7111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Give her warm molasses water ( put one large drop of molasses in one tablespoon of warm water, so the resultant liquid is a medium caramel color). Give her 7-12 sips per day, for 3-4 days or until the problem is resolved. Don't submerge her nostrils in the molasses water if you need to dip her beak to make her drink. Also make sure the regular (non-molasses) drinking water is warm, not cool. Cool water can make constipation worse in chicks. Warm molasses water is a chicken laxative. STOP giving the salt water! Salt water will dehydrate the chick and make matters worse.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  4. duckyquack

duckyquack New Egg

May 9, 2011
    Thank you for your ideas!
    I just finished her giving her a few sips with the molasses water mix, and put her back in her box. I took the salt water out and replaced it with semi warm, fresh water (bad advise about the salt water I guess.. haha) It looks like shes not going to make it... But I'll keep you updated. Thanks again.

5. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] Good news

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by