baby chick now has a small lump os well as not walking or opening eyes

missfitfarm

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 26, 2007
24 hour old chick that i posted abut earlier that can not walk or open eyes now has a small lump on breast looks fluid filled could this be the fluids i was giving it maybe it isnt going down i dont know i dont think it will make it help

Not sure if I can be of much help but I will try until someone else comes. How were you giving fluids? The lump could be the crop and if you were giving fluids, it very well could be full of fluids. I would hold off on that for now if that is the case. According to what I have learned here, a baby does not really need much as far as food or water for a couple of days. You don't want to overfill the crop. (Or at least I would not think so). I had a couple that were weak like that and I gave a tiny bit of electrolytes a few times a day but not enough to fill up the crop. If it is the crop it should start going down if you don't push any more fluid for a while. If it goes down you will know. After the crop goes down some, you may want to try a little egg yolk, cooked of course. you can mix a little bit with a little water or electrolytes and give that in a s syringe without a needle. I push the plunger to make a bubble on the end and touch that to the beak of the chick. Do not push any more. Just a drop at a time and let the chick swallow. I guess you could use a dropper but be very carefull that you only let the chick get a drop at a time or it will drown. Hope that you have some luck and that your chick feels better soon.

Marie

thanks marie i thought it might be the crop i was giving fluid by mouth a drop at a time it was not able to walk around with the rest of the chicks today and hasnt really opened its eyes much so we were thinking dehydration because it took the little one 3 days to come out of its egg all the other babies are walking around and eating with the mama this one was laying all alone in the nest i brought it in the house so we can care for it i wish there was more i could do for it it is so weak
will the crop drain? or is it in more danger now? you can email me at [email protected] if you have any suggestions or reply here any help is appreceated as this is my first batch of babies i bought my other chickens at 2 weeks old last year so i didnt have any problems

Back
Top Bottom