Baby Chick Nursery

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by isabella2014, Jan 7, 2015.

1. isabella2014

isabella2014 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2014
    I'm in the process of getting the container ready for the new arrivals. The first 3 or 4 days I've read to have a slip free flooring. At first I put Pine Shavings down...that's OK but I seem to never be satisfied so I replaced the Pine Shavings with a Easy Shelf Liner ...better grips. In testing my lamp I was worried perhaps the heat would make the shelf liner give off fumes. The heat lamp is 18" above the flooring material. I really need to see if any here have used shelf liner?
    When I am able I'm going to check temp under lamp (can never find a thermometer when I need it).
    Heard paper towels for the first few days were OK. I've raised chicks before and I never gave a second thought to flooring. I used newspapers with success may revert to that. What do you use?
    Thanks in advance.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I've used rubber shelf liner, it was ok. They definitely had good footing and it was easy to keep the brooder clean. I kept two pieces cut to the size of my brooder, when one needed cleaned, I'd take it out, replace with the other and hose the dirty one off. I never noticed any ill effects using it, or any kind of rubber smell for that matter.

I just use straw or shavings now, whatever I have on hand. They get around fine on either :)

3. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    For the first week I use newspaper covered with paper towels. Then switch to shavings partially covered with paper towels, moving the water and feed to the edge of the paper towels and gradually onto the shavings, so they get used to the difference slowly.

4. Rose66

Rose66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Alabama
    I used to use old towels and just wash them as needed. Now I use dog wee-wee pads for the first few days. Then I switch to shavings when I move them to the outside brooder.

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I use the no slip liner for my bator during lockdown, but I start them on the pine shavings from day one in the brooder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by