baby chick oozing yellow from her navel!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by amandanrick, Mar 3, 2008.

1. amandanrick

amandanrick New Egg

Mar 3, 2008
    she was born two days ago, yolk was absorbed almost!! she took a real long time hatching and is weak.
    today she started oozing this yellow stuff from her navel, which is now dryish.
    she seems to have perked up a bit, i have given her vitamins in water, mixed with a little egg yolk which i have to dip her beak in.
    I think she is making progress!!! since but i am from england and living in the states as of a few months ago, all my friends are asleep, am i fighting a losing battle or could she pull through? or is that a six million dollar q in itself?
    im so tired !!! been a long hatch of delawares, really big chicks!!

2. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    sorry your still having problems, hope someone can help you.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I can only advise to keep watching her navel and make sure it is drying up. Give her plenty to eat and drink. Hopefully she will get stronger with each passing day.

4. amandanrick

amandanrick New Egg

Mar 3, 2008
    she seems to be a fighter but who can tell..... she is so young, she seems a lot calmer in herself, please nobody else tell me to drown her............. i just couldnt do that.
    Thanks guys for your words, i hope she pulls through!!

5. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    who told you to drown her?

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Good luck with your chick. It will need much TLC from you now.

7. amandanrick

amandanrick New Egg

Mar 3, 2008
    i didnt sleep last night and i dont think i will get much tonight but at least i know ive given her my best shot, ive heard mixed outcomes with this, so i have my fingers crossed for her!

8. Hi!
    You are doing all you can do. Poor little chick...

I've pulled some poorly chicks back by giving them doses of B and E
    I just shave a bit off a B12 tablet and mix it with a drop from an E capsule and force feed if necessary.

I wish I could give you a more definitive answer.

Good luck!
    Lisa

9. amandanrick

amandanrick New Egg

Mar 3, 2008
    i was told to drown her in a bucket of water........im sure they thought it may be for the best but while she is drinking and looking at me without pain....... i just couldnt do anything like that.
    Since the yellow goo happened, she is back on her feet, eating and drinking from a dropper every half hour, chirping at my voice and seems ok for now, ive just got my fingers crossed she makes it through the night, one day at a time i suppose.

Thank you lisa, miss prissy and countryboy!!! your words are a true comfort...........what great people!!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  10. Hi!
    There will be some folks that will give you the most harsh and in their thinking, the only realistic answers.

Then, there are the rest of us [​IMG]

Good luck with the chick!
    Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by