1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby Chick Panting!! HELP!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cowboyclayt, Mar 27, 2017.

1. I got some chicks from the feed store on Saturday. They are all doing great except that one of the black sex link chicks is panting with its beak open a little bit. The temp is 98*. I am thinking I should raise the heat lamp a little bit. Any suggestions?

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yes, raise the lamp.....The Chicks are too warm....Temp should be taken at chick height and they need to be able to get away from the heat or into it if needed....Feed and water should be out of the heat and where they sleep should be the correct temp....:)

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  3. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Yes. Also the brooder needs to have space for them to self regulate their temperature, so the heat lamp should be at one corner of the brooder so the chicks can go to the other side to cool off.

1 person likes this.
  4. chickens really

I think that is what I just said ?...;).....You just said it differently..:)......

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  5. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Oh, sorry. I'm kinda tired today. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Well, it can't hurt to have lots of advice [​IMG]

6. chickens really

No, it's fine..:)....I thought it was funny.....;)

7. Thanks everybody! The chicks are in a large dog cage and heat lamp is in the corner so that isn't a problem.

8. chickens really

Just so you know...Panting is a sign of being too warm....what is the temp at chick height?

Cheers!

9. I raised the heat lamp and it is about 96*. She isn't panting anymore! :D

10. chickens really

Make sure they have an area to get out of the heat....95 under heat and nothing lower than 85 every place else they go...Then drop it weekly by around 5 degrees....:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by