Baby chick pecking at own vent!

Maatawry

Chirping
Aug 20, 2015
i only have two babies. they have plenty of room. good appetite, drinking eater, social, etc.

Bu my one seems to have a slightly red vent that she is pecking at. i dont see an injury. i worried maybe it was slightly prolapsed, but at only a week old?

i watched her peck at her own vent pretty violently. does anyone have any insight??

i only have two babies. they have plenty of room. good appetite, drinking eater, social, etc.

Bu my one seems to have a slightly red vent that she is pecking at. i dont see an injury. i worried maybe it was slightly prolapsed, but at only a week old?

i watched her peck at her own vent pretty violently. does anyone have any insight??

Something is irritating her vent, or she wouldn't be pecking it. Maybe it's itchy, maybe someone else pecked it first. There are a few things you can try to get the inflammation down. One is to lube it up with Preparation H. If there is a yellowish crusty discharge, you might consider trying Monistat.

thanks for the quick reply! her vent looks healthy. no discharge. no crust. i do notice that underneath it is a clump that i think is her belly button?

but it looks healthy.

Back
Top Bottom