Baby chick pecking other chicks' bums and eyes

lolerie

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2021
I have 3 three-day-old chicks, a green queen easter egger, barred plymouth rock, and welsummer. They are all female. The welsummer chick has been pecking the other 2 chicks' bums, causing them to chirp very loudly and run away.
I have no previous experience with chickens or chicks and don't know what to do. The same chick has also been pecking at the other chicks' eyes. The eye pecking has been happening since yesterday, (they stayed with a friend for the first 2 days of their life) and the bum pecking began today. Is there anything I can do to help them? Are they stressed?

What's your brooder like?
they're in an orange tote box with pine shavings as bedding. there is a blanket under the shavings. there are three connected plates/bowls, 2 of which are feeders and the other is a waterer. they are all lifted up about an inch off the ground. they also have a rock to stand on and a small mirror. heat lamp is about a foot above the brooder, a little bit to the left of the box
i plan on changing the tote box to something bigger once the chicks are a bit older and i can send a picture of the current brooder if i need to

Back
Top Bottom