Baby chick peeking mate

DeltaDC

In the Brooder
May 1, 2021
North Fork, Idaho
I had 6 chicks arrive 3 days ago. All were cold and unresponsive. I was able to revive 2 of the 6. I put them in with my 6 10 day old chicks. The one baby has thrived but the other is barely hanging on. I almost lost her a few times but was able to get het back on track. I moved the two babies in to their own brooder box. That has seemed to help the weaker chick. My concern is that the healthy chick, which is a little bigger now, keeps peakkng at the weaker one. I dont see anu damage. And every so often the weaker one will start pushing the peaking one out of her way. They do snuggle and seem to be ok until the one starts peaking. Im worried my weaker baby is going to get hurt. Should I be concerned or is this normal?

I usually move weaker chicks to their own section within the brooder. So if the brooder is a tote I would put up some hardware cloth to keep the two separate. This way they’re still in the same brooder, and can still see each other, but it gives the smaller one a chance to eat and drink at her leisure. Without the bigger one picking on her.

I actually had to do this with two chicks a couple months back. But I had to put them in two separate brooders. They could still see each other but not touch. The bigger one kept trying to get at the Littlest and bite her feet. When the Littlest got bigger I was able to put them together again.

Back
Top Bottom