Baby chick! Please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by The Golden Egg5, Mar 4, 2017.

1. The Golden Egg5

The Golden Egg5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    One of my baby chicks are acting very lethargic I haven't seen her eat or drink. Her wings droop down and he eyes are closed all the time. I just put electrolytes in her water to see if it helped, but she hasn't drank it yet. I tried to dip her beak in the water, but she would not drink. Please help! She is a lavender Cochin bantam I got this morning at tsc

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  2. Try giving her water out of a dropper. Put some on the side of its beak. Look online for coccidiosis. My chicks just got that and they pretty much have the same symptoms. I would put amprolium in it if you have any. (Also called Corid although that is the brand) Hard boil some eggs and then mash it up and see if she will eat that. Give us more info about their brooder area please. what is the temp?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Most baby chicks will drink if you dip their beak for a second, and then let them swallow. They pretty much will get water in their beaks with each dip. You also may very carefully give a drop at a time with a dropper. Do this fairly constantly tonight for several hours with some rest. Keep the chick warm, and make sure it does not have a plugged vent (butt.) Baby chicks from feed stores can suffer from shipping stress where they may have been chilled, dehydrated, or gotten piled on. You may want to call the store and get another chick to replace her if she dies. Look out for any others who are not active or drinking. Sprinkle some chick feed on a paper towel around their feet so they will peck at it. Is your brooder light at around 90 degrees F with a thermometer on the floor?

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Use your finger to drip the electrolytes on the beak just below the nostrils. When it rolls around the chick should instinctively gobble and swallow. When I have a chick that is failing, usually from being shipped. This has worked many times.

I hold the chick in my hand with the back of the head near my thumb and its' beak slightly draping over my forefinger. Many time my actual drip misses the beak but I can maneuver the beak into the path before it rolls off my finger. I make sure they get a few good swallows. And I do this every 15 to 30 minute depending on how long it's been since they drank.

Honestly, I would call TSC and have them replace her, since I saw you just got her this morning. They get their chicks shipped to but usually absorb the losses before selling to the public. [​IMG] Some chicks just can't survive shipping and yours sounds in very dire need. Even one I hatched myself wouldn't drink after a couple days. With me helping, it still failed to thrive.

Hope the chicks gets better! [​IMG]

5. The Golden Egg5

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    Thank you guys so much! I am using the MPH method but at the lowest point on it it is about 95 degrees and that is where she stays. I got her this morning and she was like that when I got her. I will try to get her to drink again. I do not have any corrid, but I will get some tomorrow because the some of the chicks have some odd looking poop.

6. The Golden Egg5

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    I got her to drink! But she does not have enough energy to walk very much. I hope I don't loose her. :(

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Keep up the fluids. She does not have cocci at this age--it happens after 2-3 weeks of age, so she won't need Corid. Don't give her egg until she is 2 weeks old. Vitamins and electrolytes such as SaveAChick added to the water are very important.

8. The Golden Egg5

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    All my chicks have watery poop. Is that normal? I thought it was cocci. I have saveAChick electrolytes in their water. I did give them some scrambled egg, but they did not want it. Also when does feed go bad? I forgot to check the date on the feed bag when I bought it. I just checked and it is older than I would have wanted

9. The Golden Egg5

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    [​IMG] this is her. Her name is Dorcas.

10. The Golden Egg5

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    Also how often should I give her water?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by