Baby Chick Poop HELP *Graphic Photo*

AStitchofKate

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 24, 2014
Alright. Chicks just arrived this morning. These chicks were vaccinated for Coccidiosis and Mareks. Two arrived dead in box, one passed away in my hand a little later, and then I found this one struggling and found this. I'm not sure what this is. I do believe it is coming from her vent cause she has more there then when I first caught it. I have seperated her from the others, so they don't mess with her. When I picked her up the first time she had mucus come out of her beak! Any advice or thoughts! HELP! Thanks in advance!

I have never seem this, I would call your hatchery. Doesn't look good. It looks like a prolapse? Or unhealed navel? I can't see them sending them to you this way?! Could they have gotten squashed in transit?

I have never seem this, I would call your hatchery. Doesn't look good. It looks like a prolapse? Or unhealed navel? I can't see them sending them to you this way?! Could they have gotten squashed in transit?
That is what "I" was thinking!!! How would they miss this? These were vaccinated too, so handled more, ect. The others seems to be doing great, the warmth seems to be just right, and they are all eating and drinking. I had one with a pasty bum, but cleaned it up and will watch it but I think it will be just fine! That totally freaked me out finding that though. My mother took it with her, she is going to try to nurse it to health and see what she can do. We talked about what is most humane though for the chick, we will see what happens. I will be calling the hatchery though. We lost a total of 3 (two upon opening the box, and one died within the first hour of removing) and then we have this one. Whew! What a crazy morning!

I guess as chick moms we have to toughen up. Care for them the best we can but make the right decisions to put some out of their misery if need be. I had to cull one yesterday. Its hard. I knew it would come to this with that chick. When she arrived she had a pasty butt, when I cleaned it off I noticed her navel wasn't healed properly. So its been 8 days and the chick went down not doing well chirping etc. I had to make that decision. I don't like that part of chick raising. So I have 58 now plus the 8 one month olds.

I guess as chick moms we have to toughen up. Care for them the best we can but make the right decisions to put some out of their misery if need be. I had to cull one yesterday. Its hard. I knew it would come to this with that chick. When she arrived she had a pasty butt, when I cleaned it off I noticed her navel wasn't healed properly. So its been 8 days and the chick went down not doing well chirping etc. I had to make that decision. I don't like that part of chick raising. So I have 58 now plus the 8 one month olds.
It really is the hardest part!!! Cause you want to do all you can to help them but sometimes the BEST thing you can do is help them to go to rest peacefully and without suffering. So sorry you had to make that decision yourself! That's a nice size flock you have there!!

Yeah I have a builder guy coming today to talk about building another coop. My other one can only hold about 10 more. I am chicken crazy! I have some ideas, I saw one that I really like. Its called a winter coop, Like the old farmstead coops of the 1920's. I would add a covered run. I could kick my horses out of their spot and extend my current coop, but then I have to build a new sot for them. I told my husband that I really need a real barn!! Maybe some day.

Yeah I have a builder guy coming today to talk about building another coop. My other one can only hold about 10 more. I am chicken crazy! I have some ideas, I saw one that I really like. Its called a winter coop, Like the old farmstead coops of the 1920's. I would add a covered run. I could kick my horses out of their spot and extend my current coop, but then I have to build a new sot for them. I told my husband that I really need a real barn!! Maybe some day.
A girl can dream right? hahaha My husband and I are planning to turn a large shed we have into the coop for these ones. It has a cement floor and I think it would be easier to vent and build a run off of. I ordered 28, and down to 24/25. We plan to only keep 13/14 though, the others we will re-home. But....I can already tell just how easy it is to become chicken crazy. If my husband came home and told me I had to cut the flock in half tonight, I would absolutely cry....and so NOT be able to. They already have so much personality. There is a little White Cochin out there that the minute you stick your hand in she darts over to look at you and is so curious. Its so precious! Hard not to become attached! lol

Back
Top Bottom